Vomiting or emesis is an involuntary expulsion of gastric content from mouth and occasionally from mouth and nose. It can occur anytime, when you are awake or even in sleep. Vomiting while sleeping is extremely frustrating for the patient and sometime even life threatening.
There are wide varieties of reasons for this unpleasant condition to occur. It can be an isolated episode caused by a virus infection or due to indigestion of food that you have eaten late at night. Emesis can also result from serious medical ailment. Vomiting while sleeping is quiet disgusting especially when you wake up in the morning with acrid and sour taste due to bile and acid that regurgitates in your mouth and nose.
If you have suffered from such discomforting experience anytime, you can prevent this episode in future by following certain steps. But before that, let us know the reasons of vomiting while you are asleep.
What Are The Causes Of Vomiting While Sleeping?
There are many people who may have vomiting at night or when they are sleeping. Some people may be able to feel it and can rush to washroom, while some people may not realize and vomit only to know when they get up in morning. Here are the possible causes of vomiting while sleeping.
- Indigestion: You may vomit at night when in sleep if you have eaten certain foods that may not agree or may not easily digest. Your stomach juices may react with foods that are too spicy or oily. If you had these foods in your dinner and slept soon after that, the stomach content may be pushed upwards after few hours. Your stomach may have reacted to these unacceptable foods even if you were awake. But since you may have slept early, vomiting may occur in sleep.
- Reflux: Acid reflux is main concern of upper gastrointestinal tract troubles. It occurs in people where the esophageal sphincter is damaged or does not close after your meals. Acid as well as stomach content pushes upwards and sometime may move till mouth leading to puking. Acid reflux is one of the most common causes of heartburn.
- Alcohol intake: Many people have suffered from vomiting after too much drinking. It may also occur during sleep. Gastritis is the main cause of such vomiting after drinking. Drinking at nighttime may be one of the causes.
- Infant vomiting: Infants also vomit during their sleep. These may occur due to two reasons. One of the frequent reasons is gas. The infant may throw out excess of milk if he has consumed too much of it.
How To Prevent Vomiting While Sleeping Naturally?
If you have experienced several episodes of this distressful condition, you may try these few helpful steps to prevent vomiting.
- Avoid eating too late at night. Keep at least 3 to 4 hours gap between your dinner and sleep hours.
- Avoid eating too much spicy and oily food at night. These foods are difficult to digest at nighttime. The acids and enzymes present in stomach may find these foods unacceptable and may react to cause vomit.
- Avoid excessive drinking at night. Do not drink just before sleeping.
- Change your sleep position if you have habit of sleeping straight. Sleeping sideways will reduce the reflux of gastric content in esophagus and vomiting.
If you are suffering from frequent episodes or the condition occur regularly, you need to consult a gastroenterologist to diagnose the underlying reason. Sometimes the content of vomit may enter into the windpipe when you are not awake, resulting in aspiration pneumonia, a serious condition.