All individuals produce gas, especially in the colons, due to aerobic and anaerobic fermentation of undigested foods. Normally, most of the gas produced in the colon is used by other bacteria in the intestine. Some individuals however, due to several reasons may suffer from distention of the abdomen, due to accumulation of gases, which is a very distressing condition.
There are several causes for gas pressure. Firstly, consuming your food too quickly might result in areophagia (i.e. gulping down of air). In addition there are certain foods that are prone to produce more gas like beans.In addition consumption of beverages and inappropriate digestion of food may also result in gaseous distention.
How To Relieve Gas Pressure?
Normally, gas pressure is relieved by farting (i.e. gas is eliminated through the anus) or belching (i.e. gas is eliminated through the mouth). These are normal ways in which the body gets rid of excess of gas in its intestine. However both these conditions can be fairly distressing and are considered socially unacceptable. There are simple things that one can do to relieve gas pressure,
- Some types of food items may result in production of more gas compared to other foods. In case of individual suffering from mal-digestion, it is often recommended to avoid sugars in the diet.
- Look for better alternatives. E.g. lactose in milk is often associated with flatulence and can result in gas pressure. However yogurt is considered to contain lactose which in broken down by yeast and hence produces less gas. Including yoghurt in your diet instead of milk can reduce gas pressure
- Insufficiency of certain enzymes namely pancreatic enzymes result in mal-digestion and results in gaseous distention. Supplements can help in reducing gaseous distention
- In individuals suffering from some form of celiac disease, a gluten free diet is recommended.
Relief From Gas Pressure From Stomach
There are certain foods that result in gas pressure and elimination of these foods in the diet can relieve gas pressure.
- Avoid foods like beans, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, apricots and prunes. These foods are often poorly digested and can result in gas pressure in stomach
- Reduce in intake of foods namely whole grain, vegetables and fruits in order to reduce gaseous distention
- In individuals suffering from constipation intake of Psyillum husk seeds is often recommended. Psyillum increases the fecal mass and helps in easy elimination of waste from the colons and thereby prevents gaseous distention.
- Avoid eating your food too fast. Chewing your food helps in easy digestion of food which in turn reduces gaseous distention.
- Don’t drink water during a meal. Drinking water tends to dilute the gastric acids, which further results in inadequate breakdown and digestion of food.
Relieving Gas Pressure In The Chest
Here are some simple tips to reduce gas pressure in the chest.
- Massaging the stomach can help in elimination of the gas accumulated in the chest. Massaging however while result in elimination of the gas via burping or farting
- Local application of asafetida paste on the abdomen is known to relive gas in the chest. Asafetida causes the bowels to contract and in turn helps in elimination of gas
- Homeopathic remedies like Carbo Vegetalis and Calcaria Carb have been found to be effective in treating abdominal distention and reliving gas pressure on the chest.