Impacted colon is characterized by inability to pass stools and may be associated with serious causative factors. In this condition, the feces tend to get accumulated in the rectum, which in turn interferes with the regular bowel movement. As bowel movements are affected and obstructed there is a high risk of damage to the intestine, if the feces are not removed promptly.
One of the most common cause of impacted colon (also referred to as fecal impaction) is obstruction of the colon, which in turn results in a chronic disability to pass stools.While there are a host of gastro-intestinal symptoms that are associated with impacted colon, fortunately, most of these impacted colon symptoms can be treated naturally using home remedies and natural cures.
Impacted colon often manifests in the form of chronic constipation however the condition may be associated with a host of other symptoms including nausea, vomiting, abdominal distension, etc. This condition is associated with accumulation of fecal matter in the colon, which obstructs the regular bowel movement, which in turn further aggravates constipation. Impacted colon can be a serious medical condition and studies have shown that it is linked with a host of other disorders like diabetes, colon cancer, cardiac disorders, etc.
Causes And Symptoms Of Impacted Colon
Here are some common causes associated with impacted colon,
- Low intake of dietary fiber can increase the risk of constipation and thereby result in impacted colon.
- Lower intake of water or fluids in diet also increases the possibility of impacted colon.
- Certain medications like antihistamines or anticholinergic medications can result in drying up of the intestinal fluids or slow the natural peristaltic movement and increase the risk of impacted colon.
- Diabetes can result in nerve damage, which in turn can result peristalsis and thereby increase the risk of impacted colon.
- Recent long term illness or major surgery can also affect the peristalsis and digestive functions of the intestine, thereby causing impacted colon.
- Tumor or cancer of the intestine can obstruct the intestinal passage, which in turn can result in impacted stools.
Impacted Colon Symptoms
Common symptoms associated with impacted colon include the following,
- Regular episodes of constipation.
- Abdominal pain and gastric distension with bloating and inability to pass flatus.
- Nausea and vomiting along with retrosternal burning with loss of appetite are common symptoms.
- Bleeding per rectum, either due to piles or due to excessive strain may also be observed in some individuals.
- Some patients may complain of fatigue, tiredness and fever.
Natural Remedies For Impacted Bowel
Here are some simple home based treatments that can help in the management of impacted colon,
- Dietary and lifestyle modifications are important. Increase the intake of dietary fiber and ensure that you remain well hydrated.
- Avoid processed and refined food, which is difficult to digest and increase the risk of colon impaction.
- Avoiding coffee and tea, which are dehydrating beverages. They increase the risk of constipation.
- Exercise regularly. Regular exercise helps improve flow to blood to the intestine and improves intestinal peristalsis.
- Add ginger and mint in your diet. Both ginger and mint are considered to improve gastric motility and also prevent symptoms associated with constipation. Increase the consumption of fennel seeds.
Talk to your doctor and understand if some of the prescription medication can affect your bowel habits. If so request for an alternative. If the problem persists, you might have to surgically remove the impacted stools.