No sooner you talk about hangover, alcohol is first thing that you thing about. Yes hangover and alcohol go hand in hand. Hangover consists of group of signs and symptoms which result from drinking alcohol. Stomach ache, headache, nausea, weakness, are few of the hangover symptoms which are felt on the next day. Especially when more alcohol is consumed, there is more likelihood of suffering from stomach ache as well as other symptoms of hangover.
Having a hangover the next day can make a person miserable throughout the day. Dehydration, loss of salts and vitamins are the main reason for it.Most of the time, hangover and stomachache do not require any specific treatment and they go away on their own. But a person may feel better if his body is replenished with lost fluids, vitamins and salts.
Causes Of Stomach Ache In Hangover
Headache, weakness, drowsiness and feeling sleepy are frequently talked hangover symptoms. But stomach ache is not a common manifestation after drinking alcohol. To know why there is bad hangover and stomach ache, it is necessary to know what happens to the body after drinking alcohol.
Alcohol has certain action on kidney which results in more urine production.This is the reason you have to frequently visit the toilet after drinking alcohol. And in fact do not try to avoid or stop urination or else you may land up with stomach ache. Excess of urination after drinking alcohol can lead to dehydration. Dehydration can lead to hangover as well as stomach ache.
Besides these two reasons, alcohol may irritate the stomach lining by producing excess of acid. This may lead to stomach ache or gastritis a medical term used for it. Other reasons for stomach ache include drinking alcohol on empty stomach. Drinking alcohol after taking NSAID drugs can cause pain and burning sensation in stomach. Sometimes there may be blood vomit.
How To Cure A Stomach Ache Due To Hangover?
Most of the hangover symptoms may vanish after a period of time on their own. But then too, if you do not want to suffer from such annoying and distressing symptoms, drink enough water and stay well hydrated after drinking alcohol and before going to bed. This will prevent hangover symptoms the next day.
- However, if you are already suffering from hangover symptoms, try to drink water, fruit juice, vegetable soup etc throughout the next day. Replenishing the body with lost fluid, vitamins, minerals and salts will certainly help to reduce the hangover symptoms. If fruit juice is not available, you can also drink fresh lime juice. Squeeze a piece of lemon in a glass of water and add one teaspoon of honey. Drink it few times in a day. Besides, honey is useful in burning alcohol faster.
- The next best thing that needs to be done is to take rest as much as possible. Sleep as long as you can when you are suffering from hangover. It is possible that after you wake up the pain is gone.
- Eat a balanced diet on the following day to make sure that you are keeping the balance of your blood sugar levels. Alcohol many times leads to imbalance of blood sugar level and when it drops, it may cause a feeling of nausea and vomiting together with stomach ache.
- Do not take NSAID medicine after drinking. It will increase or cause stomach ache.
- Few measures may help to prevent stomach ache after drinking drinking. Do not keep your stomach empty, eat something before you drink. This will prevent quick absorption of alcohol from the stomach.
- Drink alcohol slowly. Drink a glass of water between each glass of alcohol drink. This will help to stay hydrated. Also it prevents excess drinking.