What Causes Gastritis or tightness in Stomach
Chest and stomach tightness, every time after eating food is due to slow digestion. This can be due to various factors and most common of it is gastritis. Gastritis is inflammation of the inner lining or mucosa of the stomach leading to slow digestion. This causes stomach and chest tightness.
Other causes are iron deficiency anemia, decrease in stomach acid, vitamin B12 deficiency and invasion of bacteria.
How to Prevent Gastritis or Chest and Stomach Tightness
- Avoid greasy foods or foods containing meat. Do not take alcohol, vinegar or caffeine. Avoid spicy, refined or fried foods, these promote indigestion.
- Food allergies such as lactose (milk) intolerance can also cause it. Avoid foods that cause problems.
- Do not eat legumes in large quantities, especially lentils, peanuts and soy beans. They contain a substance which slows down certain digestive enzymes. Eat fewer gas-producing foods, such as cabbage and cauliflower. Also avoid milk, sugar and protein.
- Avoid foods which have lots of air in them e.g. carbonated drinks, beer, soufflÃ©s, omletes, whipped cream and ice cream.
Natural Remedies for Gastritis
- Drink the juice of one lemon in a cup of water, first thing in the morning. This will help to prepare the stomach for its daily routine.
- Chamomile, ginger and turmeric help to reduce the chest and stomach tightness, if taken regularly. Dried form is more useful.
- Calendula tea will help in healing the stomach lining, if there is any gastritis and will regularize bowel movement.
- Licorice has been used since centuries for treating the inflamed stomach lining. It increases mucin and fights H. pylori bacteria. Take it in form of deglycerinated licorice, which will not cause water retention.
- Mix 3 gms. of wormwood, 2 gms. of peppermint and 1 gm. of garden sage. Steep in one cup of boiled water. Strain the preparation and let it cool. Take this in dose of one teaspoon in water 1/2 hour before the meals. This will act as stomach tonic and help in relieving stomach tightness thereafter.