Bloating and Flatulence Causes, Treatments
Heavy meals, fatty foods or unfamiliar food cause indigestion and leads to excess gas formation in the alimentary tract. This leads to bloating (swelling and stretched feeling) and flatulence (gas). Onions, cabbage, leeks, broccoli and beans are some vegetables that lead to build up of gas. Dried fruits, yeast products and fresh bread are less digestible foods. Emotional stress also affects bloating and flatulence.
Important: Seek advice from an experienced homeopath if the symptoms do not improve even with change in diet or on self-treatment.
Symptoms, Remedies for Bloating and Flatulence
- Weak stomach; heavy feeling in the stomach; burping brings sour and undigested food taste; cannot tolerate sour food, tea, baked goods, pork and nicotine; tongue exhibits a thick white coating.
Remedy – Anitmonium crudum
- Heavy feeling in the stomach; bloated abdomen is visible; sour burping of undigested food; passes bad odor gas, but brings no relief; strong desire to drink cold water, coffee, strong alcoholic beverages and eat sweet and sour foods.
Worse – Fruit, milk, tea
Remedy – China
- Bloated stomach; burping and passing gas provides relief; sluggish and drowsy; particularly after heavy meals of meat, legumes, cabbage, wine, coffee and milk.
Worse – Lying down after eating, tight clothes
Better – Fresh air
Remedy – Carbo vegetabilis
- The abdomen below the navel looks swollen, particularly on the left side; wants to eat constantly; feels extremely hungry but feels full after a few bites; especially in people who age prematurely, mentally active, short tempered and irritable people.
Remedy – Lycopodium 30 or 200
- Feeling full immediately after eating; formation of gas increases slowly; patient will loosen belt and unbutton to feel comfortable; will feel extremely tired two hours after meals; strong desire to drink alcohol, tea, coffee and other stimulants. Especially for ambitious, short tempered and disapproving people
Remedy – Nux vomica 200
- Excess gas formation with colic like pain; loud noises in the stomach and intestine; heavy feeling in the stomach; burping has a stale awful taste; intolerance to baked goods, fatty foods, ice cream, fruit, pork; occurs when different varieties of food are eaten at the same time. Especially for emotional and moody people
Remedy – Pulsatilla 200
- Continuous feeling of being stuffed; constant formation of gas in the stomach and intestine; passes gas with rotten smell; the whole abdomen looks bloated; loud noises in the stomach and intestine; colic like pain; sometimes diarrhea in the morning.
Worse – In the evening, during the night
Remedy – Sulfur