Protein is considered to be a building block of our body. Protein is important for growth of muscles and body tissues. Protein deficiency may cause many serious health related issues. Proteins are not synthesized in our body and they have to be taken from external dietary source. Therefore poor nutrition and low protein diet can result into protein deficiency.
Protein Deficiency Symptoms
Signs and symptom of protein deficiency in men and women are:
- Fatigue is considered to be an important symptom of protein deficiency, if a person feels exhausted easily and if complains of excessive sleep he may be suffering from protein deficiency.
- Excess of hair fall in women with split ends can be a reason of protein deficiency.
- Edema, swelling of lower legs is an early sign of protein deficiency. In this condition water will move out from blood vessels into extra cellular space causing water retention.
- Constipation or frequent diarrhea may be present in protein deficiency.
- Low heart rate and low blood pressure are observed in patients having protein deficiency.
Symptoms Of Deficiency Of Protein
- Difficulties in concentration, memory loss, depression, irritation are some of the manifestations of protein deficiency syndrome.
- Slow healing of wounds.
- Bedsore and skin ulcer heal slowly in protein deficiency.
- In women protein deficiency may cause back pain and bone pains as a result of osteoporosis.
- Improper gait in men is sometimes a symptom of protein energy malnutrition.
Treatment For Protein Deficiency
Protein deficiency treatment consists of increasing intake of protein rich food. Eggs, fish, meat, milk and other dairy products are rich source of animal protein.
Vegetarian can find protein in legumes, cereals, soy and soy products, beans, seeds, nuts and whole grains.
In case of severe protein deficiency, one can take supplementary protein products.