When the bowel movements are less than three times in a week, the condition is termed as constipation. The stool is very hard to pass and in small quantity, maintaining diet full of fiber act as a natural laxative food.
Good residual food should consist of green vegetables and fruits. Residue is necessary to form the nucleus of the stool.
Together with it enough water must be drunk to keep the stool soft. Bulk of stool is due to its water content. See healthy balanced diet for children
Natural Laxative Foods List
Nature has given plenty of laxative foods: foods which contain plenty of soluble and insoluble fibers are good laxative foods.
- Vegetables: spinach, broccoli, and green vegetables come in this category. Broccoli is rich in fiber and has antioxidant properties thus act as a natural laxative food.
- Dried fruits are great natural laxative if they are preserved properly.
- Bananas are supposed to be one of the most inexpensive laxative foods as it contains both the fibers and bulk forming quality, which help easy bowel movement.
- Carrots, cherries and nuts are other natural laxatives for children and adults and one should have daily in their diet to get relief from constipation.
List Of Foods High In Fibre
- Bran cereals: they are high in dietary fiber, besides they are low in carbohydrates.
- Beans and legumes: they are high in fiber and proteins, low in carbohydrate and fat; this makes them substitute for meat.
Natural Laxative Foods For Children
If your child is constipated add certain fiber food regularly in his diet:
Cereals, vegetables, fruits with skin if it is eatable, they all have plenty of fibers. Give him brown rice, whole wheat bread instead of white bread, nuts, lentils and legumes are all high fiber products good as a natural laxative in kids.
Do not give more of dairy foods and fast foods if your child is constipated. Ensure your child drinks enough water.