V8 is a known brand of vegetable juice that is sold in almost all parts of world. This vegetable juice is prepared from 8 different types of vegetable namely beet, celery, carrot, tomato, lettuce, parsley, spinach and watercress. The blend of vegetables used provides excellent source of vitamins and minerals, particularly vitamin A, C and E. Besides V8 juice is low in fat and cholesterol.
V8 juice was first prepared by a person named W.G. Peacock. It was called Vege-min but in 1933 Peacock changed its name to V8. Drinking V8 juice is much better than drinking soda and other beverages.Let us know health benefits of drinking V8 and its drawbacks.
What Are The Health Benefits Of V8 Juice?
V8 developed way back in 1933 possesses innumerable health benefits as it is loaded with vitamins. As we know it is comprised of 8 vegetables; tomato, carrot, parsley, beet, watercress, spinach, lettuce and celery. It contains the same nutrients that are found in these vegetables.
Here are some of the health benefits of V8:
- Large amount of juice contains tomato juice which is rich in lycopene. Lycopene is an antioxidant which gives bright red color to tomatoes. Antioxidants are helpful in destroying free radicals. Free radicals in excess poses risk of cancer and other chronic diseases in the body.
- Since V8 is made from vegetables hence it is a rich source of vitamin A and C. Vitamin A is fat soluble vitamin. It is beneficial for good vision besides promoting healthy skin. Vitamin C enhances healthy immunity besides several other health benefits.
- V8 contains beet juice. It provides natural sugar and thus it is low in calories.
- The celery juice in V8 provides enough potassium that keeps the balance between sodium and potassium level in the body.
- Carrots are rich source of beta carotene a precursor of vitamin A. Both are important for visual acuity. Deficiency of vitamin A can lead to night blindness. It also promotes healthy immune system.
- Parsley juice present in V8 is useful to prevent anemia as it is rich in folate. Parsley also contains vitamin A and potassium.
- Spinach juice in V8 is rich source of iron and folic acid. Both prevent iron deficiency anemia.
- Watercress juice is rich source of vitamin A.
Disadvantages Of Drinking V8 Juice
Drinking V8 juice is not bad as against drinking non nutritive sodas and other beverages. But it does have some drawbacks.
- It contains less amount of fiber as that of original vegetables. This is because while processing large amount of fiber is removed from the vegetable to extract juice. Fiber is important substance for gastrointestinal tract because it keeps you full for a longer time. It also regulates blood sugar level and prevents excess hunger which results in weight gain.
- Fiber present in raw or cooked vegetables prevents constipation.
- Eat cooked vegetable is more palatable and tasty as compared to a cup of V8 juice. You can add variety of spices and other items while preparing a vegetable. These all are beneficial for your overall health.
- V8 also contains salt as a preservative. So if you are on a low salt diet, drinking this juice may not be a good option as against eating cooked or raw vegetable.
Although vegetable juices have several health benefits, they cannot simply override the immense benefits of eating vegetables in their whole form. This does not essentially mean you should not drink vegetable juices or it is bad. An occasional intake of vegetable juice is good however you should not rely solely on vegetable juice as an option for eating vegetable.