Hypoglycemia means low level of circulating sugar in the blood than its normal range. Hypoglycemia can be due to many causes such as due to medications like insulin injections and oral diabetics, prolonged starvations, hereditary disorders, insulin being produced in excess in the body, metabolic disorders, excessive intake of alcohol and caffeine products, liver and kidney failure etc.
Symptoms Of Hypoglycemia
The patient perspires profusely and becomes drowsy; he may get fits and might become unconscious if he is suffering from hypoglycemia.
Hypoglycemia is of three types, the most common is diabetic hypoglycemia. The other two are reactive hypoglycemia and fasting hypoglycemia.
Hypoglycemia Diet Plan
Hypoglycemic diet recommendations:
- A small portion of food at a frequent interval is effective in maintaining normal blood sugar all the day.
- Small meals can be placed apart at an interval of every three hours. Six small meals are recommended for hypoglycemic diet plan.
- Do not skip meals and breakfast and do not fast.
- Eat healthy snacks in between two meals if need arises.
- Eat food with high fiber, complex carbohydrate, healthy lipids and protein.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine if you have reactive hypoglycemia.
Foods that should be included in hypoglycemic diet include:
Whole grains, green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits, lean meat, eggs, fish, butter, yogurt, milk and dairy products, nuts and beans.
Foods To Avoid For Hypoglycemia
Following foods should be avoided in hypoglycemic diet menu
Canned and processed food, sugar, sweets, oily and fried food, food preparations made from white flour, cakes and pastries, syrups, white bread, colas and other beverages containing caffeine, alcohol, pastas, processed meat and canned fish, coffee and tea etc.
Hypoglycemia Diet Menu Plan
- Breakfast: porridge with milk and one egg, one glass of orange juice, whole wheat toast.
- Mid morning: ½ ounce of Rich tea biscuit, an apple.
- Lunch: clear soup with shredded vegetables, lean meat, boiled potatoes, peas and nuts, tomato and cucumber salad, skin milk, slice of whole wheat bread.
- Mid afternoon: digestive biscuits, coffee 1 cup with sugar supplements.
- Evening meal: fish or chicken breast, tomato soups, diet margarine, bread with butter, raw apple or fresh strawberries.