Including soluble food in your diet helps your body in many ways. It lowers the cholesterol level in the blood and thus decreases the risk of heart attack and atherosclerosis. Most of the foods contain soluble and insoluble fibers.
Let us know what soluble fiber is and how it affects our health. Soluble fibers are found in plant and its products. When soluble fiber comes in contact with water it forms a thick gel or mucilage during the digestion of food.
Health Benefits Of Soluble Fiber Foods
The three major beneficial properties of soluble fiber are its ability to retain and hold the water.
Maintaining viscosity and ability to ferment are two other beneficial properties of soluble fibers. Pectin, gum, mucilage and hemicelluloses are some of the soluble fibers found in the foods.
Studies carried out by researchers have shown some of the beneficial properties of soluble fibers. It lowers the blood cholesterol and thus helps in reducing the incidence of heart attack and stroke. It is also effective in obesity and diabetes control. The gastrointestinal benefit such as relieving constipation is well known. Many people believe soluble fibers plays an important role in prevention of cancer.
What Type Of Foods Are High In Soluble Fiber?
Knowing the benefits of soluble fibers, let us know some of the highest soluble fiber foods:
- Whole grains: Oats are considered as the highest soluble food among the grains. Consuming ½ cup of oatmeal in breakfast is the easiest way of consuming absolute soluble fiber. You can get added advantage if fruits are added to oatmeal. Barley is another high soluble fiber grain. It can be cooked and eaten as cereal.
- Fruits: Among the fruits, orange, grapefruit, pears, contain the highest value of soluble fibers. Other fruits that contain moderate amount of soluble fibers are bananas, apples, plums, peaches etc. Fruits can be eaten in many ways. It can be mixed with yogurt or it can be eaten as a smoothie. Everyone likes to eat fruits children and adults alike. Thus together with fruits you also consume other health promoting foods.
- Legumes and nuts: Legumes are considered the best source of soluble fiber, they are even better than fiber present in the fruits. Among the beans and legumes, kidney beans are considered to contain highest amount of soluble fibers.
- Psysillium seeds and husk contain highest amount of soluble fiber.
- Vegetables: As compared to the above foods, vegetable contain soluble fibers in much less amount. Brussels, broccoli, sprouts are some of the foods that contain soluble fiber in lesser quantity.
The above mentioned foods not only provide high amount of soluble fiber but they also contain other valuable nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, proteins and sterols.
List Of High Soluble Fiber Foods
Here is the list of food that contains soluble fiber:
- Oat bran
- Grape fruits
- Kidney beans
- Lima beans
- Pinto beans
- White rice brown rice
- Psyllium seeds
- Red currants
- Cooked lentils
The disadvantage of eating too much of soluble fiber food in diet is that it can cause diarrhea. It will have negative effects on people who have irritable bowel syndrome. High amount of fiber content in food reduces the absorption of calories from the food.