Kids can be very picky eaters and sometimes it is difficult to get them to eat food that is good for them like fruits and vegetables. Parents are also often concerned about getting enough fiber into their kids’ diets.
- Parents can make use of a number of healthy high fiber diet options for their kids
- It may take a bit of negation to get a kid to a vegetable, but there are also some cheats that parents can use
Why Are is Fiber Necessary?
- Fiber aids in food digestion
- It helps kids have regular bowel movement
- Nutrients can be absorbed better when the child’s digestive system is healthy and clean
- Fiber can also help reduce diet related diseases like Type 2 Diabetes
High Fiber Foods And Diet For Kids
There are two types of dietary fiber and each one has its own benefits.These types are:
- Soluble – it dissolves in water and can be sourced from oatmeal, bran, beans, plums, kiwi, citrus fruits, peaches, etc.
- Insoluble – does not dissolve in water and is great for bowel movement. Examples include – whole wheat grain, carrots, cucumbers, seeds, etc.
Snack ideas for kids who need more fiber include:
- Seeds – sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, these are a great snack option for kids
- Whole Wheat/Whole Grain Products – includes bread, pasta, pancakes, etc.
- Popcorn – high in insoluble fiber, but the plain variety with little sodium and sugar should be selected
High Fiber Recipes For Children
Here are some high fiber meal and snack recipes for kids
- Painted Whole Wheat Toast
- Whole wheat toast can be painted with a mixture of food coloring and milk
- This is can be an activity for kids as well
- The colors and the participation help make the food more exciting and appetizing
- Grilled Fruits
- Grilling brings out a natural sweetness in fruits
- The process is as easy as putting fruits like peaches, mangoes, or pineapples on a grill
- Wait for the fruits to get the char marks and serve
- They can be served warm with a drizzle of honey
- Oatmeal Cookies
- Reduce the amount of sugar in a regular oatmeal cookie recipe
- Try adding new flavors like dried fruits (cherries, apricots, etc.)
- Whole Wheat Toaster Pizzas
- Split whole wheat English Muffins or whole wheat bagels or burger breads
- Top it with tomato paste or even chopped canned tomatoes
- Top with cheese, ham, and other vegetables
- Kids can participate in this activity as well