Nowadays, prunes are eaten not just simply as a dessert, but for its health benefits. In fact, many people can benefit from eating prunes on a regular basis. The best thing about it is that people can eat it prepared in many ways, straight from the bottle or cooked and blended in different recipes.
What Are Prunes And Their Nutritional Value?
- Prunes are basically dried plums.
- They are known for their sweet and chewy flavor.
- Prunes are eaten for its delicious taste as well as its high nutritional content.
- There are many and varied health benefits that prunes can offer to the body.
Nutritional Value of Prunes
- Prunes are high in vitamin A and natural antioxidants such as beta-carotene.
- They are high in dietary fiber, both insoluble and soluble fiber.
- Prunes are high in iron content, low in sodium and high in potassium.
- Prunes contain trace minerals such as magnesium, copper, and manganese.
- They also have phenolic compounds such as phytonutrients, neochlorogenic acid, and chlorogenic acid.
Health Benefits Of Eating Prunes Everyday
- People with skin problems will benefit from eating prunes because it helps fight acne.
- Prunes are also helpful for developing healthy eyesight.
- People who wish to lose weight can start eating prunes. It is rich in dietary fiber that helps in produce fullness and keeps the colon healthy.
- Diseases such as constipation, hemorrhoids, and diverticular disorders can be prevented by eating prunes regularly.
- Prunes are known as a natural probiotic because it helps in the growth of useful bacteria in the intestines.
- People having problems with anemia can benefit from eating prunes because its iron content helps in synthesizing hemoglobin, the oxygen carrier of the blood.
- Hypertensive individuals can help better maintain their blood pressure by eating prunes.
- The development and proper functioning of the muscles and nerves is also another health contribution by eating prunes.
- Inflammatory conditions such as Rheumatoid Arthritis can be prevented with prunes. It also helps in keeping the blood vessels, joints, and ligaments elastic.
- Prunes are highly useful in eliminating or removing free radicals from the body that have been known to cause cancers.
- The presence of soluble fiber in prunes has also been proven to help those who want to lose weight due to the amounts of fiber that can slow down food movement from the stomach.
- Blood sugar is also maintained since the prunes delay the absorption of glucose in the body and increases the insulin sensitivity.