Gastric sleeve surgery is also known as bariatric weight loss surgery. It is commonly performed on obese individuals for their obsession of losing weight. In this surgery the size of the stomach is reduced. The shape of the stomach becomes almost like a thin tube after the surgery.
Gastric Sleeve Diet
Gastric sleeve diet before surgery: no fried food, no sweets and sugar, no colas and sodas and alcohol.
Gastric sleeve diet is advised in patients after the surgery, because the patient will not be able to digest all the food consumed immediately after the surgery and for 2-3 months post surgery.
Diet After Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- Immediately after surgery: immediately after gastric bypass, the wound will require time to heal. Patient is kept on nil by mouth for 24 hours to 48 hours depending on his intestinal peristalsis or motility. During this period he is kept on intravenous IV fluids for maintain electrolyte balance.
- On regaining peristalsis, doctors will suggest oral intake of fluids, such as water, tea, low sugar diet etc. for a week.
- After one week: patient is not allowed to take soft food or solid food. The staple lines in the stomach may break due to solid food. Liquids such as tea, water, sugar free fresh fruit juice, broth, and yogurt.
Gastric Sleeve Diet Plan
- 15 days to 45 days after surgery: pureed food and mashed food are advised. Mashed potatoes, pureed poultry and meat, etc. processed food and fruit concentrates are not allowed. Colas and soda are strictly prohibited.
- 45days to 3 months: soft food such as oatmeal, blended and soft cooked vegetables, and puddings without sugar is allowed. Protein containing foods are specially recommended.
- 3 months after surgery the patient is shifted on regular diet. Lean meat, eggs, fruits, vegetables and grains can be consumed.
Diet For Gastric Sleeve
Patient who has undergone gastric sleeve surgery should always eat small meals, spaced 4 hours apart. Eat slowly and should chew food properly.
He should avoid alcohol. He should drink water before or after meals.