When we speak of cholesterol, the first thing that comes in our mind is heart problem. From this you can imagine the awareness amongst people regarding cholesterol and its association with coronary heart diseases. However it is the bad cholesterol that is responsible for heart problems.
LDL (low density lipoprotein) is the bad cholesterol and HDL (High density cholesterol) is good cholesterol. Its work is to clean the walls of the arteries and prevent rise of LDL cholesterol. No wonder, increasing HDL is beneficial to heart, as it reduces the risk of heart attacks and angina.It also prevents memory loss in later years.
Increasing HDL Cholesterol Naturally
How can you raise HDL level in the blood to its recommended level of 60mg/dl is certainly the next question in your mind. Well, your doctor will recommend several ways to increase your HDL level, such as exercising, low intake of saturated fats and quit smoking. Apart from this, you can eat foods that increase HDL.
Natural ways to raise good cholesterol include
- Change your life style.
- Quit smoking.
- Exercise daily.
- Regular brisk walk for thirty minutes.
- Do not eat saturated fats. Use mono and polyunsaturated fats such as olive oil, or canola oil as a cooking medium. Eat food containing omega 3 fatty acids.
There are no special medicines to raise good cholesterol. Medicines used to lower LDL cholesterol may have a positive effect of raising good cholesterol.
List Of Foods That Raise Good Cholesterol
Recently researchers have studied food effects on HDL level. They have found that there are certain foods that increase good cholesterol. Following are few examples-
- Berries: Million times you may have heard berries are good for our health. Recent studies have found that consuming berries in moderate quantity can improves HDL cholesterol. To be more specific it is the anthocyanin in the berries that do the trick. Most popular berries are bilberry, black currant, raspberry and strawberry.
- Another study was conducted on Kale juice. People having high cholesterol were selected. They were given 150 ml of kale juice daily. Three months later, their HDL cholesterol had increased by 27%. Almost 200 gm of kale is required for extracting 150 ml of kale juice.
- Cocoa is also known to increase good cholesterol.
Foods That Increase HDL Level Naturally
- You may know cranberry juice for its benefits in urinary tract infections. In recent studies, cranberry juice has shown to increase level of good cholesterol in the blood.
- Flax seeds, tuna and salmon fish, walnut, soya bean, are known to improve HDL cholesterol. They are rich source of omega -3 fatty acids. It is a healthy fat, the best way to increase HDL, is to incorporate these foods daily in your diet.
- Vegetables and fruits are also known to raise good cholesterol. Certain vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, and cabbage are known to elevate HDL in blood and decrease the LDL level. Among fruits apples, apricots, oranges, bananas are considered valuable in increasing good cholesterol.
- The best way to increase HDL is to increase consumption of oats, barley and oatmeal in your diet.
- Moderate alcohol is known to increase HDL level; however it also increases the LDL level.
From the above list you can see many foods can increase HDL level in your blood. Adding one or more of them in your diet will definitely compliment other ways such as exercise, to increase HDL or good cholesterol as it is popularly known.