There are certain foods which are high in sugar content. In a normal person eating these foods may not be of much significance, but for diabetics and people intending to lose weight this foods do matter.
The foods that we eat are metabolized into sugar. They act as an energy source for routine body activity. But in diabetics, excess sugar from these foods is not converted into energy. They are absorbed in the blood leading to high blood sugar. That is the reason your health care provider recommends to check blood sugar level.
Sugar can be in many forms, glucose, fructose, sucrose or lactose. Foods contain these forms individually or in combination.
List Of Foods With High Sugar
Some of the foods that are high in sugar are:
- White flour: while processing, the good compounds from the wheat flour get destroyed. This in turn affects the cells of pancreas which secrete insulin, giving rise to high blood sugar level in diabetics. Bread, pasta, pancakes and pies are some of the varieties which contain high sugar values.
- French fries and doughnuts.
- Ice cream and desserts: they contain high fructose corn syrup. Approximately each ice cream bar contains 15 to 16 tsp of sugar.
- Cookies and candies: these foods are high in sugar and saturated fats.
High Sugar Fruits And Vegetables
- Fruits contain fructose, sweeter the fruit more sugar it contains. Bananas, Mangoes, grapes, figs, dates are high in sugar.
- Fruit low in sugar is cranberry, lemon, strawberry etc.
- Fruit juice contains higher amount of sugar than whole fresh fruit.
- Dries fruit contains more sugar as the water content is dried and the remaining contains more concentrated form of sugar.
Vegetables High In Sugar
- Potatoes have high sugar and high glycemic index.
- Corn is other vegetable high in sugar content.
- Carrots, beets, peas, plantains, rutabaga, parsnips are other sugar rich vegetables.