Egg plant is also known as brinjal. You may come across various delicious and mouth watering recipes prepared from eggplant. The famous French dish ratatouille has eggplant as its main component. Eggplant is from vegetable family solanaceae. Apart from its culinary importance eggplant is a valuable nutritious food.
Eggplant is available in variety of colors; purple, violet, green, white and in elongated or round shape.
Eggplant contains plenty of carbohydrate. Proteins and fats are negligible in eggplant. Eggplant is rich in fiber; people consume eggplant to facilitate proper bowel movement.
Nutritional Value Of Eggplant
100g serving of raw eggplant contains
- 2.5 of carbohydrate, 2 .5g of fiber, and 75kj of energy.
- Baby eggplant 65g contains 1.5carb, 1.5g of fiber, and 45kj of energy.
- Fried eggplant contains highest calories.
Vitamins And Minerals In Eggplant
- Eggplant is rich in minerals and vitamins.
- Following are the vitamins present in eggplant: B6, C, K, folate, niacin.
- Following are the minerals present in eggplant: calcium, potassium, copper, magnesium and manganese.
Health Benefits Of Eating Eggplant
Eggplant is low in saturated fats, cholesterol and sodium. People having heart disease, high cholesterol and hypertension can eat eggplant in liberal quantity.
Due to low calories in eggplants, it is considered healthy food for calorie conscious people.