Camu-Camu fruit grows in flooded and swampy areas and resembles large grapes and has a purplish red skin. The pulp of the fruit is yellow in color. Recently, with the discovery of several health benefits of the fruit, it is used to manufacture various drinks and ice cream. Though the taste of the fruit is not appealing, it is used for its aroma and color for the preparation of several forms of candies, juices and ice-creams.
Camu Camu Juice, What is it?
Camu Camu Juice has several health benefits. These benefits are attributed to the fact that fruit is loaded with various vitamins and minerals.The health benefits of camu camu juice include,
- Camu Camu fruit has the highest concentration of Vitamin C, approximately two grams per 100 grams of the fruit. This is considered to have a significant impact on the overall immune system. Camu Camu Fruit juice protects the body against viral and bacterial infection and also reduces the impact of stress on health.
- Camu Camu is also loaded with potassium (about 711 mg per kilogram of fruit). Potassium helps improve the circulatory and nervous system of the body and improves overall cardiac and brain health.
- Camu Camu is also packed with phyotchemicals and amino acids like leucine, valine and serine. These amino acids act as building blocks for the body while the phytochemicals, enhance the immunity and prevent illness.
What are the Benefits of Camu Camu Juice?
- One of the greatest benefits of camu camu juice is the fact that the Vitamin C component prevents the formation of cancer cells and improves the overall immune function. This in turn improves the body’s ability to cope with physical and emotional stress.
- Camu Camu juice is known for its strong anti-aging benefits, which ensure a healthy and glowing skin and also acts as a mood enhancer.
- One of the most critical and important advantage of Camu Camu juice is that it prevents formation of plaque on the arteries and reduces the risk of atherosclerosis and cardiac disorders. Further, the nutrients in camu camu berries help in vasodilation which in turn contributes towards lowering blood pressure levels.
- Camu Camu berry juice also promotes liver functions as it aids in detoxification of the liver and helps get rid of harmful toxins and chemicals. Camu berries also enhances the chances of conception, prevents eye trouble, arthritis. It is beneficial in the management of Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease.
What are the Adverse Effects of Camu Camu?
- There are no major side effects associated with camu camu berries or the consumption of its juice. Some experts however suggest that excessive consumption of camu camu can result in Vitamin C overdose. Overdose of vitamin c may be associated with minor symptoms like nausea, gastric pain and diarrhea. However no major side effects of Vitamin C are observed.
- In general there are no recorded side effects of the consumption of the fruit or its juice. Camu Camu is considered to be an inexpensive natural food to improve health and protect against infections.