Chicken has been considered to be a healthy option compared to other non-vegetarian food sources, namely red meat.
Chicken Nutrition And Nutritional Value Of Chicken
As per Wegmans Nutrition Facts, three pounds of chicken breast contain:
- 180 calories of energy (with about 80 calories from fats)
- 3 grams of saturated fats and 80 mg of cholesterol
- 25 mg of sodium
- 26 grams of proteins.
However if the cholesterol-laden skin of the chicken is removed it provides 120 calories of energy (with only about 13 calories from fats).
Health Benefits Of Eating Chicken
Consumption of chicken is associated with several health benefits. These include:
- Regulation of the blood cholesterol levels: Chicken is packed with niacin (Vitamin B3), which lowers LDL (bad cholesterol levels) and aids in increasing HDL (good cholesterol Levels)
- Enhances immunity: Chicken is packed with proteins, which are essential to enhance immunity and increase energy levels
- Reduces risk of developing arthritis and helps in keeping the bone healthy: Chicken supplies the trace mineral selenium, calcium and phosphorus, which is responsible for these benefits
- Fights stress: Chicken contains pantothenic acid which plays a critical role in fighting stress
- Regulates blood pressure: Due to presence of blood pressure lowering potassium
- Relieves symptoms of PMS, as it is a good source of magnesium, which is essential to improve mood during periods.