Tuna is a highly nutritious fish found in warm waters all over the world. Americans eat tuna fish more than any other variety of fish. Due to its meaty flavor and dense texture, it is savored dish in many parts of globe.
Benefits and Nutritional Value Of Eating Tuna Fish
Tuna fish is available in fresh and caned form; fresh Hawaiian variety is found around the month of December and January. It is a culinary treat for many in this season.
Nutrition content found in tuna fish: protein, vitamin B1, B3, B6, selenium, omega 3 fatty acids, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium.
Benefits of eating tuna fish regularly include
- One of the benefits of eating tuna fish is its rich source of omega 3 fatty acids. It is beneficial in maintaining good cardiac health. Omega 3 fatty acid in tuna fish raises the good cholesterol i.e. HDL, and reduces LDL the bad cholesterol. The risk of blood clotting considerably decreases by eating tuna fish.
- As there is less amount of sodium content and rich source of potassium, it is beneficial in hypertensive individuals.
- Due to its anti thrombolytic property, eating tuna fish is beneficial in preventing deep vein thrombosis.
- The Omega 3 fatty acid, in tuna fish is useful in patients suffering from type 2 diabetes. It increases the availability of insulin to the body cells. It is useful to reduce obesity.
- Selenium present in tuna fish benefits in preventing heart disease and helps to maintain healthy liver.
- Eating tuna fish also helps to lower the risk from several types of cancers such as colon cancer, lymphoma, leukemia etc.
- Eating raw tuna fish can provide more of omega 3 fatty acids and other vitamins, but eating raw fish can make you susceptible to variety of food borne diseases according to a study. Bacteria, parasites and viruses can pass on in your body via eating raw fish.
Health Benefits Of Omega 6 Fatty Acids
- According to certain study, if you take gamma linolenic acid for 3 to 4 months it reduces pain in the nerves caused due to diabetic neuropathy.
- Attention deficit: there is clinical evidence to suggest that children with attention deficit have low essential fatty acids, both omega 3 and omega 6. Therefore omega 6 fatty acid is important for maintaining normal brain function.
- Evening prime rose oil on eczema is useful to diminish the symptoms.
- It is useful in hypertension in combination with omega 3 fatty acid, as per some preliminary data available.
- It reduces osteoporosis of bone.