Rice is a cereal grain, a staple food for most humans around the globe. Rice grain is the second highest grain product in the world after maize. Rice cultivation requires ample amount of water.
Nutritional Value Of White And Brown Rice
The seed of rice is milled to remove the chaff. The resultant rice seed is called brown rice. If the milling process continues, it removes the bran this is called white rice.
Main nutrient in rice: vitamin B1, B2, vitamin D, niacin, iron, calcium, tryptophan, carbohydrate, manganese, selenium, magnesium etc.
Benefits Of Eating Rice
- Eating rice gives great energy. The carbohydrate gets converted into glucose, and acts as a fuel required for the body, for its normal physical and mental function.
- Hypertensive and people suffering from cardiac ailment benefit from eating rice. This is because it contains very low amount of sodium and cholesterol.
- Due to its fiber content, rice is useful in smooth bowel movement.
- Rice water drained while boiling rice is useful in treating diarrhea in children and adults.
- Rice bran oil is a cardio- protective. It has antioxidant properties which lowers the cholesterol in the blood.
Brown Rice Health Benefits
- Brown rice is believed to protect the body from cancers, as it contains insoluble fibers.
- Alzheimer’s disease can be prevented to considerable extent, if you eat brown rice. Because brown rice contains good amount of neurotransmitter nutrients.
- Some people who are allergic to protein present in wheat, barley, oats, rye, can tolerate rice. For them this gluten free grain becomes an essential choice.
The resistant starch present in rice helps the growth of good bacteria in the intestine.