A healthy diet is composed of many nutritional items, nuts and seeds being one of them. They are categorized as super healthy food as they are natural source of vitamins, minerals, healthy fat, protein, fiber and antioxidants. Every individual must include nuts and seeds in their diet plan. The mono-saturated fat present in nuts is beneficial for overall heart health. Some nuts and seeds contain large amount of omega3 fatty acids.
Most nuts and seeds must be eaten soaked, ground or mashed and raw. They lose their nutritional value once these foods are heated.There are wide varieties of nuts and seeds such as almonds, chashewnut, pistachio, walnut, flax seeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds etc. They must be consumed in small amount because they are high in calories. Include them in your diet to enjoy several health benefits.
Health Benefits Of Some Healthy Nuts
- Almonds: Almonds are oval shaped nuts. They are rich source of calcium, magnesium, vitamin E, selenium, copper, iron and few of B vitamins. They contain enough fiber that helps to regularize intestinal motility and prevent constipation. Almonds contain vitamin E which is a superior antioxidant. Besides it is good source of mono-saturated fat (good fat). Regular consumption of 10 to 12 almonds is effective in lowering cholesterol. Regular eating of almonds is helpful in reducing risk of diabetes type 2. It boosts memory power in children. Almonds are also beneficial for hair and skin because of its mono-saturated fat as well as vitamin E content. Eating almonds is known to lower risk of cancer.
- Walnuts: Often the simplest food is best for health. This implies perfectly for walnuts. Walnuts are high in omega 3 fatty acids. It also contains enough amounts of copper, manganese, biotin and molybdenum. Walnut has cancer fighting properties and thus eating it daily helps to reduce the risk of breast cancer and prostate cancer in particular. Walnut reduces risk of cardiac ailment. The omega 3 fatty acid in walnut acts as anti-inflammatory and helps to prevent formation of blood clots. It thus reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases and risk of sudden death. It also helps to maintain healthy weight by increasing satiety. Eating walnuts daily also improves sperm quality and its motility.
- Brazil nuts: They are good source of selenium, copper, niacin, magnesium, fiber and vitamin E. Brazil nuts are mainly found in Amazon rain forest. Although they come in tiny package, Brazil nuts provide supper health punch. It is a great health benefit for men as this nut contains high amount of selenium which increases testosterone level and improves sperm motility. Brazil nut is good source of vitamin E. It is thus beneficial for overall skin health.
- Cashew nuts: They are loaded with anti oxidants, vitamin A, B, and E. The flavanols present in it helps to fight cancer causing cells. It is also heart healthy due to its high oleic acid content. Calcium and magnesium present in cashew nut is important for bone and teeth health. Cashew nuts are especially useful for woman after their menopause as it provides good sleep.
- Pistachios: Pistachios are heart friendly nuts. Consuming pistachios in small amount helps to lower LDL cholesterol in the body. Pistachios are the first choice in nuts for those who are on diet. It helps to manage weight because of its low calorie, high protein, and low saturated fat. Eating pistachio is beneficial for eyes as it reduced risk of age related macular degeneration.
Benefits Of Eating Some Healthiest Seeds
- Flax seeds: Flax seeds are the first on the list of benefits from seeds. It contains healthy omega 3 fats and lignans. Both are super anti oxidants that fight off cancer. It also contains high fiber content which helps easy intestinal motility among people suffering from constipation. In all flax seeds are great in reducing risk of high blood cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes and stroke.
- Sunflower seeds: Sunflower contains healthy amount of phytochemicals, selenium, vitamin E and folate. Daily consumption of sunflower seeds is beneficial in reducing the risk of cancer and heart problems.
- Chia seeds: Chia are rich in potassium, magnesium, iron, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin C, fiber and omega 3 fatty acids. Its consumption reduces joint pain, improves brain health and helps to maintain healthy blood sugar level. However, avoid chia seeds in excess as it is known to increase the risk of prostate cancer.
- Sesame seeds: Sesame seeds have crunchy taste. These seeds contain zinc, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, copper, and fiber. Eating sesame seeds regularly helps to lower blood pressure and cholesterol. It protects the liver from toxins. Sesame seeds are beneficial for women having premenstrual problems.