Food without sugar or sweet content is not palatable, and therefore it is used as an ingredient in almost all the food preparations used world over.
Adverse Effects Of Artificial Sweeteners
But sugar in its purest form is a carbohydrate which may be contraindicated in many diseases, such as diabetes, obesity, dental decay, hypertension and cardiac problems. In such circumstances sugar is substituted with artificial sweetening agents. But their complete safety is subject of controversy; some opine artificial sweeteners can cause varied side effects and potential threat to health, ranging from mild to grave consequences.
Artificial sweeteners give exact sweetness of sugar and are low in calories. Less quantity is required as they are high intensity sweeteners, sweeter than sucrose with less energy value.
Types Of Artificial Sweeteners
Types of artificial sweeteners: they are chemical or natural compound.
- Acesulfame potassium.
Artificial Sweeteners Side Effects
- Saccharin: it was the first artificial sweetener invented; continuous and large amount of its use may be associated with urinary bladder cancer. It can cause sulfa allergy as it contains sulfonamide.
- Aspartame: side effects of this artificial sweetener include headache, giddiness, and gastric disturbance like diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. Cancers of various organs like prostate, breast, ovarian cancer were detected in persons using aspartame in high amount in their diet for long duration. See Ovarian cancer in Young Women also.
- Sucralose: excess amount of its use can cause enlarged kidney, liver and disturbance of thymus gland. Used in beverages, desserts, candies and chewing gums.
- Acesulfame: long term use can cause cancer, kidney problems and depression.
- Neotame: it is also a carcinogen if used for a long time.
- Stevia: it is not approved by FDA, but regular use of stevia can cause infertility, increased heart rate and hypertension.
If in any circumstances use of artificial sweeteners becomes necessary, make it sure that you do not become addicted and dependable to it. Because artificial sweeteners affect the health slowly and the side effects may not be noticeable overnight, they are the long term consequence.