In our series of Herbal Remedies for Diabetes; we are showcasing some plants having medicinal properties; which help in production of insulin and also help lowering blood sugar.
This article emphasizes the uses of Fenugreek Seeds, Ispaghula and Madhuca for Diabetics.
In modern times diabetes has become most common disease worldwide. Apart from other medicinal herbs, fenugreek seeds have an important role to control diabetes. The seeds of fenugreek have been found effective in diabetic treatment.
Fenugreek helps the pancreas to manufacture and release more insulin, and there by it increases the utilization of glucose in the peripheral tissues.
This way the glucose level in the blood gets reduced. Even levels of serum cholesterol, and triglyceride were found to be significantly decreased in patients who consumed fenugreek seeds.
Health Benefits Of Eating Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek Seeds (Trigonella foenum graecum)
One tablespoon (11 gms) of fenugreek seed contains 36 calories. Other nutrients include:
- Carbohydrate = 6gm
- Total fat = 1gm
- Proteins = 3gm
- Minerals: Iron = 3.7mg; Calcium = 19mg; Magnesium = 21mg; Potassium = 84 mg; Phosphorus = 32mg; Sodium = 7.4mg; Selenium = o.7mcg and Zinc = 0. 3mg.
- Vitamins: Vitamin A= 6.6IU, vitamin C= 0.3mg, vitamin B6= 0.1mg, Folate= 6.3mcg, Manganese= 0.1mg, Copper= 0.1mg
- Fenugreek seeds have medicinal properties. When 25 to 100 grams of seeds were taken daily they helped check hyperglycemia in diabetic patients.
- Glucose levels also dropped significantly when diabetic patients consumed these seeds.
- Seeds of fenugreek are a rich source of fiber and contain alkaloid that helps reduce sugar levels. Fenugreek leaves however lack these properties.
- A teaspoon of fenugreek seeds can be swallowed along with water. These seeds can even be soaked overnight in water and taken first thing in the morning.
- One teaspoon of seed-powder can be taken twice daily along with milk. It can also be added to different food items.
- Regular use of fenugreek seed powder reduces blood and urine sugar level and even improves glucose tolerance.
Benefits Of Ispaghula Or Psyllium Seeds For Diabetes
Ispaghula (Botanical name – Plantago ovata)
These are also known as spogel seeds. These seeds have medicinal properties. They possess large amount of albuminous matter and mucilage. This herb has anti-diabetic properties and is beneficial in diabetic treatment.
- It prevents excess absorption of sugar from the intestine and thereby helps control blood sugar in diabetics.
- Besides seeds even the husk of ispaghula can be taken.
- The husk is the dry seed coat of the plant that is obtained by crushing the seeds and separating the husk. The husk has properties similar to the seeds.
- The husk needs no presoaking and has an advantage over seeds because it passes smoothly through the alimentary canal.
Madhuca Indica For Diabetes
In addition to above two herbs, Madhuca (Botanical name – Madhuca indica) is also used effectively to control high blood sugar.
- Madhuca is a large tree popularly known as butter tree.
- The bark of this tree possesses anti-diabetic properties and helps lower blood sugar in diabetics.
- Diabetics should regularly take decoction prepared from the bark.