1200 calorie diet provides fewer calories than the total energy requirements of the day. Thus it causes
depletion of body fats. It is used in cases of obesity, diabetes mellitus, cardiac disturbances and hypertension. 1200 calorie diabetic diet is meant only for those individual diabetics whose physician or dietician recommends them. Usually these people live sedentary life.
People who develop diabetes in later period of life are often obese or overweight. Majority of time these people do not use insulin and their blood sugar is well controlled with diet alone or in combination with anti diabetic tablets.
If a diabetic person is obese than the insulin produced by pancreas is not fully effective due to excess of fat in the body. The condition is referred as insulin resistance. This problem can be overcome by losing excess of fat. Calorie is a measure of energy that the body can get from the food that is consumed. The food consists of both solid and liquid diet.
1200 Calorie Diet Plan For Diabetes Patients
Following 1200 calorie meal plan is suitable for patient suffering from diabetes and is recommended to take by their physicians.
- 2 ounce (60gms) of porridge with one glass (200 ml) of milk.
- 1 egg.
- 2 slice of small bread with 1 teaspoon of butter.
- 1 small orange.
- Tea or coffee with half cup of skimmed milk.
- 2 biscuits
- 1 cup tea without sugar
- Clear soup with shredded vegetable. You can eat any vegetable of your choice such as broccoli, cabbage, carrot, onions, tomatoes, radish etc.
- 2 ounce of lean meat or ham or poultry or 90gms of fish (steamed or grilled).
- 2 ounce of boiled potatoes.
- 60gms of bread (white or brown).
- Eat salad as much as you like which may consist of pumpkin, spinach, watercress, beans, cauliflower, cabbage, etc.
- 1 portion of fruit such as apple, pear, orange or peach.
- 1 glass of sugar free beverage.
- 1 cup popcorn
- Tea or coffee without sugar
- Clear soup, or tomato juice or lean meat extract.
- 2 ounce (60gms) of lean meat, or small helping of fish, or 2 eggs, or 2 ounce of cheese.
- Salads and vegetables as desired such as turnip tops, spinach, swede, lettuce, mushrooms, cauliflower, carrots, French beans, Brussels sprout, artichoke etc.
- 40 gm of bread with one teaspoon of butter.
- 1 fruit such as apple, orange or lime.
- 1 cup tea or coffee.
All foods must be served without thickened gravies and sauces. All food items may be baked, grilled, boiled or steamed but not fried.
Foods To Avoid In Diabetic Diet
These foods are to be avoided by a diabetes patient.
- Fried and oily foods.
- Sugars, sorbitol and glucose.
- All types of sweets including toffees, chocolates and custard powder.
- Lemon curd, syrups, Jam, honey and treacle.
- Frozen or tinned fruits.
- Dried and fresh fruits like dates, figs, prunes, apricots, currants, raisins, bananas and grapes.
- Pastries, pies, cakes, and milk puddings.
- Sweet or chocolate biscuits and scones.
- Cereals like rice, macaroni, barley and spaghetti.
- Breakfast cereals like porridge, fresh or synthetic creams, ice-creams, and jelly.
- Sweetened fruit juices, condensed or evaporated milk, fruit squash, coca-cola and other sweet fizzy ‘soft drinks’.
- Peas, beetroots, sweet corn, broad or butter beans and lentils.
- Sweet pickle is to be avoided.
- Alcoholic drinks like beer, wines, whiskey etc.