Question: What is chikungunya fever and how does it spread? What are the primary symptoms and treatment for chikungunya?
What Is Chikungunya Fever?
Chikungunya fever is a viral disease which is spread by a particular mosquito called ades aegypti. It is a major consequence of urbanization. Building structures act as a breeding ground for mosquito and cause for spreading the disease. The virus was first isolated from a patient suffering from fever in Tanzania; the transmission is thought to occur from animals to mosquitoes.
Symptoms Of Chikungunya
- Joint pains.
- Swelling of the joints.
- Stiffness of the joints making walking difficult.
- Headache and fatigue.
- Skin rash.
- Vomiting and nausea.
The symptoms of chikungunya fever last for a long period some time for 6 months to a 1 year.
It is a debilitating disease and joint pain and swelling can cause a arthritis like condition.
Chikungunya fever can be misdiagnosed as dengue fever in early stages of the fever, but blood test for both can differentiate the disease.
Treatment For Chikungunya Fever
There is no specific antiviral drug or any vaccine available in conventional system of medicine. The patient is treated symptomatically, that is rest, hydration with fluids and analgesics for joint pains and muscular pains.
Chikungunya Homeopathic Remedies
Homeopathy has medicines to treat chikungunya fever effectively. It can also help to reduce the intensity and the course of post chikungunya fever symptoms such as joint pains, weakness and stiffness of the muscles.
Homeopathic drugs like Rhustox, Eupatorium perfoliatum, Sulphur, Lycopodium etc when given according to the symptoms similarity of the patients, bring relief to the patient from his illness very effectively.
Prevention Of Chikungunya Fever
- The ades ageypti mosquito bite usually in the day time and therefore it becomes very difficult if you are working outdoors.
- Still precautions should be taken to get rid of mosquito breeding sites like emptying stagnant water from pots, tanks and buckets.
- Mosquito nets while sleeping and wearing full sleeves and long pants to cover the body.
- Mosquito repellents can also be used.