Stomach upset is common problem in babies. It may include gases, reflux, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach ache, and constipation. Stomach upset is a colloquial term used for what medical professionals call gastroenteritis. Although stomach upset is a minor health problem in most babies, it is discomforting condition and needs proper medical attention at times.
There are many home remedies that can help to alleviate the symptoms of stomach upset. Before starting any home remedies parents should always consult the pediatrician to make sure if it is appropriate to begin these remedies.
What Causes Stomach Upset In Babies?
Stomach upset in babies is caused due to many reasons.Some of them are mild and heal on their own without any treatment. More serious conditions may require medical attention. The onset in most cases is acute. However, there are certain conditions such as constipation that can prolong or recur frequently.
- Gases: Pain due gasses is very common problem in babies, especially during first six months as the intestines are not matured enough. Gases also occur as different types of food are given after 4 to 12 months.
- Colic: Pain in abdomen is common with any associated gastric problem in babies. Colicky pain leads to persistent crying in babies. Frequently it is because of gasses or due to indigestion.
- Constipation: Many babies are constipated. Change in food, feeding habits, reduced water intake, can cause dry and hard stool.
- Infection: Virus infection is common cause of stomach upset in babies. Vomiting, diarrhea, colicky pain, is common in virus infection of stomach.
- Reflux: Many babies, especially between one and three months spit out small amount of stomach content soon after feeding. It is common problem as the valve between the food pipe and stomach is not well developed. The content of stomach in small quantity may therefore reverses back into the mouth and throat.
Symptoms Of Stomach Upset In Babies
The most common symptoms of stomach upset in babies are:
- Uncontrolled crying: Due to gasses and spasm of stomach there is uncontrolled crying. Carrying, taking the baby outside, feeding does not relieve crying.
- Vomiting: It is frequently associated with stomach infection. It can also occur due to overfeeding.
- Fever: This is serious symptom present with any type of stomach infection. It can be bacterial or viral infection.
- Bloating of abdomen is common with presence of gasses.
- Diarrhea: Loose, watery and frequent bowel movement is one of the symptoms when baby’s stomach gets upset.
- Colicky pain occurs due to spasm of stomach. Baby cries with every stomach spasm.
Natural Remedies For Baby Upset Stomach
Stomach upsets are common problem and all new parents should know how to take care of their babies in such a situation. There are several home remedies that are found effective in dealing with this discomforting stomach ailment.
- Patience is the key in dealing when it comes to stomach upset. Do not become panicky. Instead observe the child and judge the severity of the condition. If you are confused consult your doctor. The symptoms often alleviate with time.
- Massage gives relief to the baby. A gentle massage on baby’s stomach will help to disperse gasses collected in the stomach.
- Place a warm cloth on his belly; it is extremely soothing for the upset stomach.
- Burp the baby after every feed. It helps to expel excess of air gulped while breastfeeding.
- Babies with stomach upset should be given bland food. Yogurt, applesauce, rice and rice water are soothing for upset stomach. They are easier to digest besides they contain certain enzymes that help in relieving the stomach problem.
- Chamomile tea is soothing for the troubled stomach. It reduces spasm and pain and makes the baby quiet. This home remedy is to be used for slight older babies.