Infants are prone to develop cold and flu frequently as their immune system is still in developing stage. Their immunity is unable to fight virus infection perfectly. With cold and flu they also suffer from sore throat and scratchiness in throat.
The child may also sometimes lose his voice for some time. Although the viral infection subsides within one week or ten days, home remedies can help to soothe his throat faster so that it becomes easy for him to swallow and sleep peacefully.
What Causes Sore Throat In Infants?
There are variety of causes that may cause sore throat in infants and toddlers.
- Viral infection is one of the most common causes of sore throat in babies. The virus can spread from either close contact or from air. It may lead to redness and congestion in throat. Because of sore throat the baby may not eat well.
- Streptococcal sore throat is a bacterial infection. It is much less in infants as compared to viral infection. Along with pain in throat, the tonsils may enlarge and get inflamed.
- Infants are sensitive to dust. Inhaling dust and fumes can irritate the throat as well as respiratory system.
- Dry air during winter months can also be a reason for sore throat.
Home Remedies For Sore Throat In Infants
In majority of cases home remedies act effectively to alleviate painful and irritating sore throat in infants.
- In dry wintry air use a humidifier in the room where baby is sleeping. Humidity in air will soothe the throat so that the infant can sleep peacefully. You can add few drops of eucalyptus oil to accelerate its effect. Humidifier will also relieve cough in babies.
- Continue breastfeeding to the baby as much as possible. Sucking breast milk or formula milk from bottle keeps the baby’s throat wet. This can also soothe the baby’s sore throat.
- Rub mentholated salve on chest and back of the baby. It will help the baby to breathe comfortably and reduce soreness in throat.
- Give small sips of warm water to the baby as it will help to alleviate soreness and pain in throat caused due to viral infection.
- If soreness in throat is caused by strep infection, baby may need antibiotics.
- For a weaning infant give warm soup that is thin and more of liquid than thick.
- Keep the baby away from dust and fumes as it will aggravate the already painful throat.
Keep away things and articles that may trigger allergy in children. Also keep away the baby from your pet animals for few days until the baby’s sore throat has improved.