Children often get sick because their immune system is not completely developed. It is in developing stage. It is natural for any parent to ease their child’s discomfort as soon as possible even if the ailment is as minor as cold and cough. They search in their medicine cabinet for some conventional medicine which can mask the symptoms or visit a pediatrician.
Often natural approach of treatment is overlooked by parents when their child is not feeling well. Herbal remedies are used since thousands of years. There are several herbs known to benefit a child in health as well as in diseased state.Children can take these herbs as natural supplements, however, before giving any herb it is necessary to consult the pediatrician or herbal practitioner. Most often reduced amounts should be given to children according to their age and weight.
Sometimes children become fussy to take herbs. In such cases the herb powder can be added in applesauce, bananas or juices. Below is given the list of herbs which is most useful for children in various health problems:
Herbal Cures For Cough & Cold And Stomach Disorders In Children
- Aloe vera: The gel derived from aloe vera plant is beneficial in soothing and relieving pain from burns and cuts and minor injuries. It can help to prevent scarring when injuries occur. Local application of aloe vera gel also helps to relieve itching.
- Catnip: This herb is useful in stomach ailments which are common in children. Colic, gas, indigestion, upset stomach etc are some of the problems known to get cured by catnip.
- Chamomile: Chamomile can help to settle the upset stomach in children and relax the body. It is often used in the form of tea. Its dilution form is used for babies suffering from colic. The calming effect of chamomile is beneficial to soothe irritated nervous system. Many recommend it even in teething children.
- Echinacea: This is a well known herb known for its immune boosting properties. It is a natural antibiotic. Echinacea is often used to treat insect bites and mild infections.
- Garlic: Garlic is found in some extract formulas and it is also available as odorless capsule. Garlic is beneficial in both bacterial and viral infection. In children garlic is often used in earaches, respiratory problems, sore throat, colds, fever etc.
- Ginger: Ginger is a great herbal remedy for nausea and vomiting. It is often used since ages to cure upset stomach both in adults as well as children. The chemical present in ginger is also effective in colds and flu, aches and pains as well as fever.
- Licorice: Children do not hesitate to take this herb because it has a pleasant sweet taste. Licorice is useful in coughs, colds, flu, throat irritation, and congestion in lungs. It is also used as mild laxative.
- Marshmallow: This herb is soothing to the respiratory tract and helpful for sore throat and lung congestion.
- Slippery Elm: This herb is soothing to the digestive tract and it is used for constipation, diarrhea, and upset stomach.
Herbs can be used in many forms. Usually in children herbs are used as ointments, syrups, teas, etc. Tea is easy for children to take and can be comforting when they are ill. Herbs in syrup base are usually used to treat cough, congestion, and throat problems. Ointments are used on the skin. They are used in injury, contusion, and skin infections.