The presence of threadworms in an individual can be diagnosed from stool exams, and the existence itself of the worms in the anus through rectal physical assessment. This problem is usually fairly common among children.
Signs of Threadworm:
- Persistent scratching of the anal area
- Unable to sit still
Mode of Transmission of Threadworms:
Threadworms are little worms that lay eggs in the anus. A child playing in dirt and soil can get the worms, especially when there is no proper hand hygiene before eating.
Once the worms have laid their eggs, they would then transfer to another individual by coming out from the anus and enter to other people he is sleeping next to.
Herbal Remedies for Threadworms
These are easy homemade remedies that you can use to treat a person such as your child for threadworms.
- Eating high fiber soluble foods would help clean and sweep the intestinal linings. A fruit diet for 3 days would be very healthy and at the same time provide a cleansing and detoxification process.
- Crush 15 to 25 tablespoons of fresh squash seeds. Mix with sugar, milk, or water. You can drink this even when on an empty stomach.
- Make a decoction from the leaves of a bitter gourd. Take half a cup of the decoction first thing in the morning before eating.
What to Do if Your Child Complains about Itchiness in the Anal Area:
- Allow your child to bend down and check to see if there is any presence of a worm. The worms can actually be seen by the naked eye. It is just almost half a centimeter long.
- You can simply get a ball of cotton, dab it with a small amount of oil to remove the worm.
It is best to take precautionary measures to avoid having this problem and at the same time it will ensure that you are living a healthy life.
- Observe proper hand washing. Make it a habit to wash your hands before you eat.
- Trim down your child’s fingernails to prevent accumulation of dirt.
- Get your child treated with purgative measures that is usually indicated and prescribed during the ages of 2 to 4 years old.
- Observe proper hygiene at all times.
- Eat healthy and nutritious foods regularly.