Question: My son is 16 months old. He likes to have sweet things only. He does not have spicy food. I am scared of worms. Can you suggest me treatment for hook and round worms in children?
Answer: Make a habit to give everything you eat, to your child at this age, and he will learn accordingly. Eating only sweet things does not mean that your child is having worms which could be pinworms or roundworms.
Let us know how the worms affect the child.
Intestinal worms are one of the most common infestations present in children.They occur due to the habit of the child to put things such as toys and hand in their mouth.
Most encountered worms in children are:
- Pinworms (enterobiasis)
- Hookworms (ancylostomiasis)
- Roundworm (ascariasis lumbricoid)
The mode of infection is through the oral route, or through the skin. Pinworm enters the stomach through contaminated food, while hookworms can get into the system through the skin of bare feet which comes in contact with contaminated soil.
Some general symptoms of worm infestation
- Itching in the anus is most common symptom, and it is usually most intense at night, when the worms are laying their eggs These are Pinworms.
- Colicky, recurrent abdominal pain may occur owing to adult worm in the intestine. These are Roundworms
- Cough can occur due to the passage of the larvae through the lungs in Roundworms.
- Passage of larvae through the skin may cause itching in the skin.(Hookworms)
- The child harboring the worms will be pale, anemic, he will have loss of appetite, failure to grow and enlarged abdomen.
Prevention and Treatment of Hook Worms, Round Worm in Children
- Mother should take care to wash her hands while feeding the child.
- Finger nails of the mother as well as of the child should be cut regularly.
- Drink only boiled water. Wash raw vegetables or raw eatables before cooking.
- Child should wear shoes while playing in soil, or in the garden.
- Carrots and coconut are some of the natural ingredients which help to eradicate worm manifestations. They can be mixed together with the daily food articles.