Cough and colds are the most common conditions during childhood. Although coughs may sound awful, they are not really a serious condition. Coughing is in fact an important and healthy reflex in keeping the airways of the throat and chest protected.
Children who are under the age of two should be given medications strictly prescribed by pediatricians. Buying medicines over the counter should not be practiced considering the risks involved in getting side effects.
The most common problems encountered when using non-prescribed cough medicines include taking an amount more than what is recommended, giving the medicines too often, or when more than one medicine is taken containing similar active ingredient.
Care For Newborn Babies Having Cough And Cold
Even if cold and coughs in infants are just common and can be brought about by the sudden change of environment and temperature, it is still best to let the doctor see the child. Listening to how they cough and how it sounds will help the doctor to diagnose the condition.
There are different types of cough that may need different types of treatment and management, such as:
- Barky cough
- Whooping cough
- Cough with wheezing
- Nighttime cough
- Daytime cough
- Cough with fever
- Cough with vomiting
- Persistent cough
The child has to see a doctor under the following conditions:
- If three months or younger and coughing for a few hours.
- When the child has difficulty in breathing.
- Lips, tongue, or face is turning blue or dusky.
- High fever, or in case of infants, any fever.
- The child coughs out blood.
- Whooping or noisy sound when breathing in after coughing.
- Wheezing sound when breathing out.
- Feeling weak and cranky.
Home Remedies For Cough In Infants
Since coughs are mostly viral infection, doctors do not usually prescribe any antibiotic. They just need to run its course, which can last for at least two weeks. Cough medicines act by stopping the cough and not to treat the cause.
The following are a few ways of caring for infants with cough:
- The child can sleep better in a bedroom with a cool mist humidifier.
- A cool beverage or water can be soothing.
- Give the child steam for twenty minutes. This can be done in the shower by turning on the hot water and sitting inside with the door closed.
- If the child has asthma, follow the care plan given by the doctor with the right medicines.