Children Blinking Excessively
Blinking of eyes is a normal physiological phenomenon. It is present in children as well as in adults. According to ophthalmologists, our eyes blink normally 15 to 20 times in a minute. You may observe some children blink excessively; it may be due to health problems, vision problems or may be a benign process.
If your child is blinking a lot, observe him for a while. He should not be made aware of his blinking because it will make him blink more. Inquire whether he is able to see words written on black board, or if he feels itchy eyes, or if there is redness of eyes.
What Causes Excessive Blinking In Children
Some of the common causes of excessive blinking in children are
- Infection in eyes such as viral conjunctivitis.
- Dry eye.
- Refractory error in children.
- Eye allergies.
- Foreign particle in the eye.
- Swelling of eyelid.
- Tourettes syndrome.
- Anxiety in children can also lead to excessive blinking.
In most of the cases, blinking will stop after a period of time, if it is physiological. But you have to ascertain if there is any organic cause which makes his eyes to blink. Child ophthalmologist is the right person whom you should approach for your child’s excessive blinking disorder.
- Try to relax your child by storytelling, playing with him if the reason behind excessive blinking is anxiety.
- Give him food containing zinc. Green vegetables, carrots and fruits will provide necessary natural zinc supplement.
- Carrot and beetroot juice mixed with Indian gooseberry juice is good for eye sight. It contains Vitamin A, C etc.
- Consult an ophthalmologist if the child’s eye is red, itchy and swollen, and if the blinking is continuous for a long duration.