Causes of Enlarged Heart in Children
The medical term for enlarged heart is cardiomegaly. In children the condition is result of some other underlying cause.
- Cardiomyopathy is the main cause of enlargement of heart in children.
- In the above condition the heart is unable to pump properly and this can lead to congestive heart failure.
- Cardiomyopathy can be due to viral infection.
- Congenital heart disease
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Radiation treatment for cancer.
- Valvular disease, mitral valve stenosis, aortic valve stenosis.
- Congenital septal defects of the heart.
- Rheumatic valve disease.
Symptoms of Enlarged Heart in Children
- Heart beet are fast
- Pain in the chest.
Treatment of Enlarged Heart in Children
The treatment will depend on the under lying cause:
- If there is congenital condition present like septal defect, it can be surgically repaired.
- Pace maker is implanted in some condition of the heart.
- Thyroid disease should be addressed if the child is suffering from the disease.
- Honey is good myocardiac tonic. Child can drink lime water and honey together.
- Another fruit which is valuable is apple. It is said that an apple a day keeps the heart problems at bay.
- Regular medicine of modern medicine may be taken apart from the home remedies according to the doctor’s advice.
Prognosis of enlarged heart in children:
It will depend on the cause, if the cause is treatable, than further progress of heart enlargement will stop. Therefore frequent cardiology follow up is extremely important.