Home Remedies for Discoloration of Teeth in Children
Discoloration of teeth in toddlers is caused either by what we put inside their mouth or by some nutritional deficiency. This health problem is categorized into two items: intrinsic discoloration and extrinsic discoloration.
Intrinsic discoloration is caused by problems that originated from deep internal discoloration and superficial enamel discoloration that may have been brought about by nutritional deficiencies, trauma, infection, and pregnancy complication. This type of discoloration is harder to correct.
Extrinsic discoloration of teeth in toddlers is caused by the things we put inside the mouth, like food and drinks, especially those that contain strong food colorings and medications.This type is easier to correct compared to those intrinsic discoloration of teeth in children.
Diseases That May Lead to Discoloration of Teeth in Children
- Dentinogenesis imperfecta I: A genetic disorder of tooth development, this type is an autosomal dominant trait. Both primary and permanent teeth can be affected. Discolored teeth in children can be described as opalescent with bluish or brown color.
- Dentinogenesis imperfecta II: This is the second and more dangerous. The damage and discoloration of the teeth causes it to progress to hearing loss.
- Congenital hyperbilirubinemia: Due to the excessive bilirubin in the body, this affects the teeth, which results to yellow-green discoloration of teeth in toddlers.
- Flourosis: This is caused by excessive fluoride intake that later on gives a chalky white or brown-black appearance to the teeth.
- Congenital erythropoietic porphyria: This is an enzyme deficiency in the red blood cells that results to excessive photosensitivity and red-brown discolored teeth in children.
Tips and Home Remedies for Discoloration of the Teeth:
- Rubbing the inside peels of orange peel directly on the teeth.
- Mix hydrogen peroxide and baking soda to make a paste and use it when brushing the teeth.
- Rub strawberries on the teeth daily. It has a whitening effect.
- Put a mixture of toothpaste and baking soda on the aluminum foil, mold it in your teeth, leave it for an hour then brush teeth after. Do this twice a week until discoloration disappears.