Symptoms of Calcium Deficiency in Children
- Early signs of calcium deficiency are numbness in hands and legs, nervousness, leg cramps, restlessness, painful spasm of muscles, profuse perspiration and irritability.
- After the above symptoms appear there is bow legs, knee knocking, narrowing of chest and abnormal curves to the spine. Other common symptoms are early tooth decay, late learning to walk and twitching of the muscles. Swelling and tenderness is common at the growing ends of the bone.
- If this is left untreated, bow-leg or knock-knee may develop in affected children.
Cause of calcium deficiency in toddlers and children is inadequate supply of calcium, improper digestion or improper assimilation of calcium in the body.
Home Remedies for Treating Calcium Deficiency
If calcium deficiency is due to inadequate supply of calcium these are following sources which are rich in calcium:
- Best sources are milk, most raw vegetables, especially the green, leafy ones. Sesame seeds are an excellent source of calcium and phosphorus. Brewer’s yeast is another best source of calcium.
- Other sources include oats, almonds, navy beans, walnuts, millet, and sunflower seeds. A good calcium source will contain lots of calcium and relatively little phosphorus.
For proper digestion:
- Vitamins A, C, D and E. boron, essential fatty acids, phosphorus, lysine etc.
For improper assimilation-
- Vitamin D is required for proper assimilation of consumed calcium. Sunlight is also a rich source of vitamin D. when sunlight tricks the skin, oils on it is irradiated, vitamin D synthesized in the skin. Those oils are then reabsorbed into the bloodstream and carried to the liver, where it is stored and as needed, sent throughout the body to strengthen the bones. Without this vitamin, the body cannot absorb calcium and phosphorus and retention of them in bones is difficult.
- Normal liver and kidney function is needed for production and utilization of vitamin D in the body. Damage to either organs cause calcium deficiency.
- Vitamin C is required for retaining bone building salt and mineral and hence vitamin V is essential for calcium storage. Citrus fruits and lemon should be added to the diet.