Swollen knuckles may be caused by accidents and injuries while doing chores; however, it can be a sign of a serious complication. Here are some facts about swollen, painful knuckles:
- Daily activities can be affected with painful swollen knuckles. Activities such as gripping utensils, writing, and playing the piano can be very painful. Limited movements of fingers also prevent doing daily activities.
- Painful, swollen knuckles are not a disease but a complication of other diseases.
- Swollen knuckles are not the result of excessive knuckle cracking in contrary to what most people believe.
Causes Of Painful Swollen Knuckles
Frequent occurrence of painful, swollen muscles can be alarming.
- Traumatic injury or accidents can be the cause of swollen, painful knuckles. When the cartilage becomes damaged, it causes the knuckles to swell.
- Arthritis is also a common cause of painful swollen, knuckles. Arthritis is characterized by the swelling of the middle finger and the finger tip.
- Osteoarthritis is a degenerative arthritis characterized by the presence of swollen nodes found in all the joints, knuckles, and fingers.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis causes swollen knuckles. In this condition, the antibodies attack the knuckle joints which results to secretion of synovial fluid and cause inflammation.
- Gout is the formation of uric acid crystals on the knuckle joints, irritating the said tissue and cause inflammation.
Treatment for Knuckles Swelling
Swollen, painful knuckles are not really a disease, but it is a symptom of other complications and other problems. The best way to treat swollen knuckles is to know what causes it, and find remedies for that problem. Anyhow, here are some remedies to reduce swollen knuckles pain that can be helpful:
- Alternating both warm and cold compresses can ease the pain of swollen knuckles. It can also decrease the inflammation.
- Resting the affected hand can generally lessen the pain. Activities such as typing and gripping should be avoided.
- Over-the-counter pain relievers can give temporary relief from pain. Take note though, that some pain relievers can cause allergic reactions.
- Topical application of aloe vera gel and cinnamon and honey paste can help cure the pain of swollen knuckles.
- Soaking the hands in warm water with salt is also said to help relieve the pain.
- Physical therapy can be very helpful in relieving pain, and in conditioning the hands.