Swollen Jaw Treatment
The human jaw is the opposable structure located on the either side near the mouth. If you speak about jaws, it basically refers to the whole structure consisting of the base of the mouth that functions to open and close. The jaw constitutes the general body plan of almost all animals.
It is a known fact that there are a lot of people who are suffering from jaw problems for a variety of causes. Jaw clicking, headaches, facial pain, and swollen jaw are just among the difficulties brought about by jaw problems that affects around 40 percent of people at one point in their life.
Swollen Jaw Remedies
- Above anything else, if one is suffering from swollen jaw, whatever the cause may be, resting them could be the best alternative. Swelling can be a result of injury or trauma, and restricting its movement will eventually do them some good.
- Eating should be minimized, and since you cannot stay away from it, soft and easy-to-chew food is highly recommended. Food that are hard and needs excessive munching must be avoided until the swelling is controlled and dies down.
- Talking excessively can also intensify the swelling of jaw so it should be reduced and if possible talk with little words and short sentences only.
- Sleeping should be face up, and it is best to put cushion between the face so as not to accidentally move the face during deep sleep. Sleeping on the stomach or on the side of the body will not help the inflamed jaw.
- If the swollen jaw is giving so much discomfort, that even the mere movement or slight touch gives pain, then applying cold compress on the affected area can help relieve the tenderness. It should be preferably applied for around fifteen minutes, not necessarily continuous, but within an hour.
- If the pain can be tolerated, gently rubbing the swollen area can increase blood circulation and eventually ease the swollen jaw pain. By controlling and having deep breathing, the muscles of the jaw will be relaxed and at the same time bring a significant comfort.
In other words, activities involving the movement of the jaw should be put to a limit in order to hasten them from going back to its normal size. Avoiding anything that could bring back the swelling is also a helpful remedy.