Question: Tips for the elimination of sciatica pain especially by taking raw honey?
Answer: Sciatica is a disease involving sciatic nerve. It is condition resulting from irritation and inflammation of the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve runs from lower back down to the buttocks and to the foot. Sciatic nerve is the longest and largest nerve in the body.
Sciatica can result when injured vertebral disc (mostly lumbar) presses against the nerve. This pain occurs when the L5 and S1 nerve roots get compressed due to the lateral prolapse of the discs. As a result there is lower back pain, pain down the buttocks, back of the thigh, calf, up to the sole of the foot.
Honey has great potential in treating several conditions. This is because of its anti inflammatory properties. Certain anti inflammatory herb when mixed with honey enhances the power of healing sciatica. One such herb which is found beneficial is turmeric.
Symptoms Of Sciatica
There may be low back pain along with radiating pain in one leg. However, the pain is more severe in legs as compared to back. The pain is usually on side of buttock and leg, it is unilateral. Pain originates from back and travels all along the path of sciatic nerve, which is on the back of thigh, and in the lower leg till the foot.
Patient feels better while lying down or when he is walking, but as soon as he sits or stands still, the pain worsens. Even sneezing and coughing produces pain in leg. The pain of sciatica is sharp and shooting. After few days, patient may experience pins and needles, or numbness in the affected leg. In severe cases there may be associated weakness of leg.
Home Remedies For Sciatica Pain Relief
Some of the home remedies and the natural ways to treat sciatica pain:
- Give adequate rest to the spine. Avoid lifting heavy weights, excessive turning or twisting to prevent sciatica.
- Sleep on the mattress which is not very hard or very soft.
- Use ergonomic chairs while sitting.
- Warm mustard oil massage is beneficial in treating sciatica. Hot fomentation eases sciatica pain.
- Nutmeg powder and gingelly oil massage is used successfully in reducing sciatica pain.
- Increase the intake of vitamin C, since vitamin C is known to ameliorate pain. Drink the juice of 2 limes daily, for quick results.
- The combination of carrot juice and beet juice is invaluable in the treatment of sciatica.
- Chamomile oil and coconut oil should be rubbed on the affected area, it gives good relief.
- Use ice pack on the muscles if there is spasm of the muscles.
- Acupressure techniques have a miraculous effect. Points to be pressed are – the entire outer edges of both the thumbs and the inner edges of the soles of the feet, up to the heels. These points work reflexively to alleviate pain, and bring about lasting cure.
- Mix a pinch of turmeric powder in one teaspoon of honey and consume it in morning and night for 7 days. The anti inflammatory properties of both the substances reduce sciatic pain.