Sleep is extremely essential for overall well being of a person. When sleep eludes an adult it brings about numerous problems. It weakens the immune system which acts as a defense against infection, reduces alertness and energy, and increases level of anxiety, risk of high blood pressure and heart disease. Actually there are several conditions and lifestyle habits that can cause trouble falling into a peaceful slumber.
For maintaining optimum health and bodily functions, a person should get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep daily. However, there are many people who fall short of this target.
Why Do People Have Hard Time Going To Sleep?
There are many people who struggle to get a sound sleep at night. They are plagued by trouble falling asleep.
- The cause of insomnia in at least half of these people stem from psychological and emotional problems. Mental stress has lot do with sleep deprivation. People who are stressed, depressed and anxious find it difficult to sleep peacefully. A part of sleep problem in such situation is blamed to the stress hormones.
- Intake of too much of tea and coffee in evening and before going to sleep can keep a person awake for many hours, preventing sound sleep. Tea and coffee both contain caffeine which is the element to be blamed for this problem. Aside from coffee and tea, even chocolates contain caffeine. A person should restrict the intake till he is out this sleep problem.
- Skipping meals or eating late at night can cause trouble while sleeping. Skipping meals can cause lowering of blood sugar level. This may affect the sleep. At the same time eating late at night can also interfere with sleep as overeating or fullness may cause discomfort and keep a person awake for long duration.
- Some women may find it difficult to sleep at night, especially when they are in their perimenopause phase. Hormonal shift during this period causes hot flashes, too much sweating, anxiety and stress. All these factors account of the trouble falling asleep at night.
- Alcohol can disrupt sleep. It is known to reduce the REM sleep. Alcohol can increase the risk of dreams and nightmares which can wake up a person from sleep. Besides alcohol can also cause inflammation of the mucus membrane of throat lining which can block airway.
- Choice of food can also have its effect on your sleep. Eating nutritious food provides enough vitamins, minerals and amino acids. All these are essential for sweat slumber at night. If a person’s diet is more of processed food which lacks essential nutrients, he is susceptible to have trouble while sleeping.
- People working in shifts often find trouble to fall asleep. This is because their circadian cycle is disturbed. The hormones that induce sleep are confused and thus these people sometime have tough time to sleep.
Home Remedies To Help You Fall Asleep Faster
If a person has trouble falling asleep, the following technique will be useful:
- Avoid spending more time in bed before sleeping. Instead just lie down in the bed when sleepy.
- When a person does not feel sleepy, he should do something relaxing till he feels sleepy.
- Regular exercise is beneficial for clam sleep in people who are extremely stressed and strained. Besides exercise meditation, yoga etc are also beneficial to induce sleep.
- Drink one glass of milk before going to bed. It helps to induce sound sleep.
- Avoid keeping television, smartphone, computer in the bedroom as these devices can interfere with sleep.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol as both can disturb sleep if taken in large amount.
- Schedule a fixed time of sleeping. Following it every day will help to sleep better.