Majority of people sometime in their life may have experienced feeling dizzy. This common feeling is characterized by lightheadedness, wobbling with loss of balance. The person may also have feeling of fainting along with dizziness. Dizziness can be a minor problem or sometimes a harbinger of a serious disease.
The balancing act of the body is controlled by the brain. Brain processes several messages sent through nerves, ear and eyes to balance the body. Sudden dizziness occurs when the brain is not able to process the information correctly.
This common disorder is usually not serious and does not last long.However, if there is frequent spell of dizziness you should not neglect it. Instead consult your physician and follow his treatment.
What Causes Sudden Dizziness?
As we know by now, dizziness has something to do with the brain. When there is problem in coordination and processing of information in the brain that is sent from ears, eyes and nerves, you can become dizzy. A person can feel giddy due to many reasons.
- Low blood pressure can be one of the causes. Blood may not reach sufficiently to the brain with sudden fall in blood pressure. This may lead to feeling of sudden dizziness.
- Anything such as rising suddenly from a chair or bed may cause sudden giddiness.
- Standing for many hours in one place can be a cause for sudden dizziness and fainting spell.
- Dehydration caused due to diarrhea, food poisoning or vomiting.
- Loss of blood due to traumatic injury or internal bleeding.
- Poor circulation to brain due to transient ischemic attack or anemia.
- Dizzy spells are common while traveling in car, bus or airplane.
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia).
- Infection in ear.
- Extreme hot climate and climbing high altitude.
- Dizziness can be one of the side effects of certain medications.
- Too much loss of blood in menstruation.
- Drinking too much of alcohol.
Symptoms Of Sudden Dizziness
Sudden dizziness is a one of the symptom and it is accompanied by various other symptoms such as;
- Fainting spell
- Feeling weak
- Pale face
- Blurring of vision
- Pressure on head
- Confused state of mind.
- Abnormal sensation as if floating in air.
- Feeling of weightlessness.
- Feeling of tightness in chest.
- Feeling of loss of balance.
- Weakness in extremities with a feeling to lie down in one place.
Home Remedies For Sudden Dizziness
Dizziness normally is not a serious condition and patient improves within few minutes from a dizzy spell. However, sudden dizziness can be sometimes dangerous as this may be a cause for accident while doing some work. One or two episodes of dizziness are not a cause of worry. If episodes of sudden dizziness occur recurrently, you need to be cautious and consult a physician to find the underlying cause and its treatment. Here are some of the home remedies of sudden dizzy spell.
- Avoid alcohol and other substances such as tea and too much of coffee that increases dizzy spell.
- Mix sugar, salt and one teaspoon of lemon juice in one glass of water. Drink this mixture when you feel dizzy after strenuous exercise or exposure to hot climate. It helps to replenish the lost salts and fluid from the body.
- Drinking ginger tea is time tested home remedy for treating sudden dizziness. You can also chew few dried ginger pieces when you are feeling giddy suddenly.
- Deep inhalation and exhalation can relax the nerves and provides good oxygen supply to the brain. Both help in reversing a dizzy spell.
- Take few onions and extract its juice. Mix one teaspoon of honey with one teaspoon of onion juice. Take the mixture slowly when you feel suddenly giddy. It is natural remedy to treat giddiness.
If you are a diabetic and taking insulin or anti diabetic medication and if you feel sudden giddiness, the first thing that you should do is measure your blood sugar and eat small amount of sugar. Sudden dizziness is common if your blood sugar becomes low.