The upper respiratory tract which includes nose and throat continuously makes thin fluid called mucus. The thin lining of nose and throat produce this secretion to keep the cavities moist. Mucus also serves other purpose of clearing bacteria and other tiny particles that can cause infection and allergy.
Normally the body produces one to two quarts of nasal mucus fluid in a day which we swallow it without noticing. But during common cold, allergic rhinitis, sinusitis, and nasal congestion the mucus secretion increases and becomes thick. Post nasal drip is the feeling of this thick mucus draining down and back into the throat from your nose.It often causes irritation and sore throat besides cough and difficulty in swallowing.
How Does Post Nasal Drip Cause Sore Throat?
Sore throat is characterized by pain, itching and irritation in the throat. Patient may have difficulty in swallowing due to pain. Sore throat can occur in all individual right from children to adults. There are many reasons of sore throat and one of them is post nasal drip.
Your throat may become sore and irritated because you are trying to constantly clear off the thick mucus that drops back into the throat. While doing so, the lining of throat will get irritated and inflamed giving rise to discomforting sore throat.Sore throat caused due to post nasal drip is usually not severe as compared to other causes such as bacterial infection in the throat.
Majority cases of post nasal drip are caused due to cold and flu or as a result of allergic rhinitis. Sore throat frequently is accompanied with post nasal drip due to constant clearing, snorting and coughing. You can also suffer from sore throat and postnasal drip if your throat is dry or you are a smoker.
Home Remedies For Sore Throat Due To Post Nasal Drip
There are several ways that you can use to make the mucus thin and thus alleviate sensation of throat irritation.
- Salt water gargles is the best home remedy to alleviate the sore throat. Adults and children over the age of 10 may gargle with salt water. Take a pinch of salt and mix it in a glass of warm water. Gargle with this solution at least two to three times in a day.
- Drink more water and fluids to make the mucus thin. It is better to consume fluids such as water, warm soups and green tea. The warmth of the soup will help to soothe the throat and thin out the secretions.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of honey and 10 to 15 drops of lemon juice in one glass of warm water. Drink this fluid three times in a day. It helps to alleviate soreness in throat.
- Nasal irrigation with saline solution or salt water will help to reduce post nasal secretion. Once the secretion is reduced your post nasal drip will be less and thus less irritation to the sore throat.
- Use humidifier in your bedroom while sleeping. The moist air released by the humidifier will help to reduce soreness in throat especially when you are asleep.