Rough and dry hands are common occurrence because hands remain exposed to the environment all the time. Human hands are always busy in dealing with all sorts of things including bad weather, dirt, soaps and detergents, sun etc, throughout the day. People who do not bother in taking care of their hands end up with rough and dry hands.
Dry hands although is not a serious health issue, can be quiet irritating. Dry hands can lead to roughness of hands, itching, cracks and fine line which may occasionally become seat of infection.If your hands are dry and rough, you may not require keeping it everlasting. There are several home remedies that you can use to bring back its natural softening and younger look.
What Causes Rough And Dry Hands?
Dry and rough hands can be caused by various problems. It is better to know them before you know the home remedies because there are many causes that you can avoid in first place. Following are important causes that can lead to dry and rough hands:
- Exposure to dry winter air.
- Low humidity in atmosphere.
- Use of harsh chemical soaps and detergents to wash hands and clothes.
- Keeping the hands immersed for long time in water.
- Handling chemicals with bare hands.
- Inadequate moisturizing of hands.
- Allergy to chemicals, soaps, or any other material that the hands are exposed to constantly.
- Chronic eczema and psoriasis in hands.
- Too much exposure to sun rays.
- Swimming in chlorinated pool or in sea frequently for long duration.
- Taking hot shower and bath.
The risk increases in older people, those who live in dry and cold climate, people requiring frequent washing of hands such as those working in kitchen, laundry, nursing.
Home Remedies To Soften Rough And Dry Hands
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil contains healthy fatty acids that help to keep the skin of hands moist for a long period of time. Rubbing coconut oil on hands forms a protective layer on hand that prevents the skin from drying and flaking. The oil has ability to penetrate deep inside the skin layer. Its saturated fats help to retain the moisture thus it provides healthy skin tone. It also acts as a sunscreen when you go out in sun. Massage coconut oil once or twice in a day on hands if they are dry and rough.
- Milk cream: Milk cream is enriched with skin nourishing fats. They act as natural moisturizer for dry and rough hands. Milk cream also contains lactic acid so does milk. Hence gentle rub with milk cream helps to exfoliate the rough hands. If the skin of your hands is dry and rough, rub milk cream daily morning and night. Keep it for 10 minutes and then rinse your hands with lukewarm water.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera gel has natural properties to keep your skin moist and supple. Apply aloe vera gel on your rough and dry hands regularly for improving the skin tone and texture of your dry hands. Cut aloe vera leaf and remove the sticky gel from it. Apply on your hands. Keep it for 10 minutes before washing the gel.
- Ripe banana scrub: Bananas have moisturizing properties. Take one ripe banana and mash it. Add one teaspoon of honey and olive oil. Mix the ingredients well and apply it on your hands. After fifteen minutes wash your hands with water. This scrub not only helps to keep your hands soft and moist but also exfoliates the rough skin of your hands.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice has natural quality to clean the hands. It keeps your hands smooth and soft. It also improves the skin tone. Mix equally amount of lemon juice, honey and baking soda to prepare a paste. Massage your hands with this mixture for few minutes. Wash your hands once the paste dries. Pat your skin with vitamin E oil.