Red pepper flakes are generally prepared from dried cayenne powder and are used as condiments. They are an integral part of various foods like pizza toppings. Red pepper flakes are known to aid in the process of weight loss and are further associated with a host of health benefits.
Red pepper flakes are loaded with various nutrients and vitamins. As per reports, one teaspoon of red pepper flakes contains about 5 Kcal of energy with 1 gram of carbohydrates, 0.2 grams of proteins and 0.3 grams of fats ( both saturated and unsaturated).
Red pepper is very spicy and adds considerable amount of taste to the diet. In addition to be used as pizza topping, it is used in sauce, pastas and a host of European and Asian Foods.
Though red pepper flakes are usually consumed in very small proportions, the health benefits associated with their regular consumption in diet are noteworthy, even when consumed in small proportions.
Health Benefits Of Red Pepper Flakes
Red pepper flakes are loaded with several health benefits.Some of the common health benefits include the following,
- Red pepper flakes play a crucial role in enhancing metabolism. The metabolic rate remains elevated for several hours after the flakes are consumed, which is the primary reason why red pepper flakes play a crucial role in weight loss. Regular consumption of red pepper flakes is an integral part of a weight loss diet program.
- Red pepper flakes are loaded with anti-oxidants which are considered to prevent cancer and protect the heart from atherosclerosis and coronary artery disease. Further, it is also considered beneficial in detoxification of the body.
- Red pepper flakes are known to aid in reducing blood cholesterol levels.
- Studies have shown that regular consumption of red pepper flakes can help improve blood circulation.
- Red pepper flakes are beneficial in treating a host of gastro-intestinal disturbances which include flatulence and indigestion. This is attributed to the fact that red pepper flakes are loaded with dietary fiber. Further, pepper flakes are known to be useful in management of stomach and peptic ulcers, by killing the H. Pylori bacteria responsible for the ulcers.
- Red pepper flakes can boost immunity and are considered useful in the management of frequent colds and runny nose.
- Pepper flakes also contain vitamin K, which plays a crucial role in blood clotting and also strengthens the bones. Further, it is an anti-oxidant and protects against oxidative damage.
- In general, red pepper flakes are beneficial in improving heart and the nervous system.
Red Pepper Flakes And Weight Loss
Capsaicin is an important component of red pepper flakes which is responsible for the typical hot taste of the seeds. Studies have shown that capsaicin can increase the body’s temperature and thereby enhancing the metabolic rate. As the metabolic rate increases, the oxygen consumption and fat burn down within the body increases significantly which in turn is considered beneficial in weight loss.