Since centuries parsley tea is used by many cultures worldwide for its various ailments. Nowadays parsley is used for garnishing various culinary dishes. The word parsley is derived from the Greek word which means ‘rock celery’.
Parsley plant which is known as petroselinum crispus, has two types of leaf, curly and flat leaf. The flat leaf is fragrant than the curly variety, it is also less bitter. The herb parsley is a biennial plant with a long taproot. The plant grows well when there is enough sunlight and as the roots are deep, it needs regular deep watering.
As we all know parsley has many medicinal properties, besides its use as a garnishing agent in culinary dishes, it can be consumed in the form of tea. Parsley tea can be a substitute for your caffeine containing black tea.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Parsley Tea?
Here are some of the health benefits of parsley tea. Parsley tea can be prepared from the leaves, seeds and the roots of the parsley plant.
- Parsley is a rich source of vitamins and minerals.
- The unique health benefits of parsley are due to the flavanoids and volatile oils that it possesses. In few animal studies the oil found in parsley inhibits formation of tumors, particularly of the lungs.
- Parsley tea as diuretic: it is a potent diuretic. It is used in conditions where there is water retention in the body in the form of edema. Thus it is an excellent detoxification agent. Due to its diuretic property, parsley helps to eliminate kidney stones.
- Parley tea is also beneficial in bladder diseases and dissolving the urinary bladder stone because of its diuretic nature.
- Eating fresh parsley or drinking parsley tea stimulates appetite and encourages optimum digestion.
- The bitter and slightly spicy leaves of parsley are high in iron and vitamin C. Parsley tea helps to build the blood and protect the bones. It is thus good for those suffering from anemia and in those whose diet is deficient in iron.
- Those suffering from gout and arthritis should drink parsley tea as it helps to get rid of uric acid from the body.
- Parsley was traditionally used for suppressed menses. It has the property that contracts the uterus. It eases the menstrual cramps and regulates menstrual cycle.
- Vitamin V and vitamin C in parsley tea helps to eliminate harmful toxins in the body. Drinking parsley tea regularly helps your skin to glow.
- Parsley tea helps to clear the respiratory mucus and thus it helps in bronchitis.
- Parsley tea also helps to reduce cholesterol and thus episodes of heart attack and stroke. However parsley cannot alone lower the cholesterol, you must also follow the cholesterol free diet.
Parsley Tea Side Effects
- There are few known side effects of drinking parsley tea or parsley in general. However a pregnant or lactating woman should avoid parsley.
- People with known allergies should not consume parsley without recommendation by the physician.
- Parsley contains some of the chemicals that can cause photo dermatitis. If your skin demonstrates any kind of dermal changes after going out in the sun, you should seek medical advice.
- Use of parsley during pregnancy increases the risk of miscarriage and uterine bleeding. Parsley tea can cause uterine contraction.
- Drinking parsley tea along with blood thinning medicines, if a person is taking can cause internal bleeding.
- Over dose of parsley tea can cause headache, bloody stools, nausea, confusion and convulsions of muscles.