In Ozone therapy, ozone gas is used to treat many different ailments. Although not as popular as other alternative medical approaches, ozone has been in use for more than a century. It was used to treat infected war wounds in world wars; therefore ozone treatment is popular in certain European countries. Ozone is made up of 3 oxygen atoms. This unstable, colorless gas easily breaks down into oxygen.
Ozone used for medical purpose is made from pure oxygen and not from the air. Ozone has certain unique characteristics which make it a powerful tool for treating and controlling diseases like diabetes, heart disease, macular degeneration, arthritis, Parkinson’s disease and non healing ulcers etc.
How Does Ozone Therapy Work?
Ozone is useful in deactivating bacteria, viruses and fungi. Due to its oxidative capability, it can disrupt the membrane covering bacteria and expose it to be killed by white blood cells. Ozone prevents growth of fungus. It can also disrupt reproductive life cycle of viruses.
Ozone therapy stimulates oxygen metabolism, thus more oxygen is available in the red blood cells. The cells in turn release more oxygen to the tissues. It thus helps in production of increased energy. It causes certain changes in blood and blood vessels which help in improving blood circulation.
With ozone therapy, it is possible to boost immune system. Ozone administered between concentrations of 30 to 50 microgm/cc is known to increase immune level which may be effective in people having low immunity.
Health Benefits Of Ozone Therapy
Ozone therapy can be introduced in the body through various methods. In any case, ozone should not be inhaled. Ozone therapy can be used as external application such as ozone water, ozone bath and ozone oil. Ozone water is useful in dental treatment. It can be applied in the form of spray or compresses. Ozonated oil is used for local application on skin. It is valuable in treating fungus, molds, and lichen planus.
- Ozone gas gets internally absorbed through the intestinal lining. A lubricated tube is inserted through anal region to introduce ozone gas. This method works for problems related to intestine. It can also be introduced through several other openings vagina and ear.
- Ozonated water is prepared by passing ozone gas in cold water. It is used as drinking water for peptic ulcers, ameobiasis. The water is also used as compresses and water bath for sprains, healing of burns, stomatitis, decayed tooth, herpes zoster, vaginitis etc.
- Ozonated oil is prepared by passing ozone gas through oil. It has powerful anti inflammatory and anti bacterial action. It can be prepared and kept in the refrigerator. Apply the oil on non healing ulcers, wounds, abscesses, diabetic foot ulcers, athlete’s foot, genital warts, nail fungus or any other fungus skin infection.
- Ozone gas passed through catheter through various openings in the body can be effective, for example for treating colitis, proctitis through rectal insufflation. Endometritis, vaginitis can be dealt with by vaginal insufflation.
- Ozone therapy is also valuable in treating certain degenerative diseases such as senile dementia, Parkinson’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, optic nerve diseases, cancer, and herniated disc.
Thus ozone therapy rejuvenates, restores energy, and improves the quality of life, reduces pain, and restricts infection even without antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicines. In chemotherapy and radiation used for cancer treatment, adjuvant ozone therapy reduces the side effects that are caused by them.
Side Effects Of Ozone Therapy
Ozone therapy if given in correct form does not have any side effects. It should never be inhaled or given intravenously. Sometimes rectal insufflations can cause minor discomfort such as gases, mild abdominal pain, and gurgling noise. But it is temporary and heals quickly.
This therapy should never be used in people suffering from G6PD syndrome, patients having bleeding tendency or having active bleeding from any organ.
Pregnant women and lactating mothers should stay away from ozone therapy. It is also contraindicated in people suffering from hyperthyroidism.