Sweating is a physiological process and is associated with the body’s internal mechanism to control temperature. There are several factors which trigger the body’s physiological process of sweating. Sweat evaporates from the body surface and aids in cooling of the body.
There are several factors that are responsible for night sweat in males. These triggers factors include consumption of alcohol, mental and emotional stress or consumption of certain food items. All these trigger factors result in elevated body temperature which in turn results in sweating.
What Causes Night Sweats In Men?
There are several factors that are responsible for night sweat in men. Here are some of the common causes of night sweat in men which are not associated with any underlying pathological condition,
- Extremely hot weather is associated with excessive sweating. Sweating helps the body to cool down and also aids in the removal of toxins.
- Certain medications are associated with night sweat. Anti-glycemic drugs may often be responsible for inducing sweating in diabetic patients
- Certain foods are also known to trigger sweating especially at night. Red meat, onions, garlic or consumption of spicy foods has been associated with profuse perspiration.
- Sweating may also be induced due to excessive consumption of alcohol.
Excessive Sweating In Men Over 40
- One of the most common cause of night sweat in men over the age of 40 years in andropause, a condition which is characterized by fall in the level of testosterone, the primary male reproductive hormone. In addition to night sweat individuals may also experience symptoms like hot flushes or emotional instability due to drop in the level of the hormone
- Cancers particularly lymphomas are commonly associated with night sweating. Night sweating is probably the first sign of cancer due to increased fluctuation in the body temperature
- Hypoglycemia or fall in the level of glucose in blood is also associated with night sweat. This condition affects male diabetic patients, especially at night
Night Sweats In Men Under 30
Some of the common causes associated with night sweat in men below 30 years of age include,
- Bacterial or viral infection is commonly responsible for night sweat in men below 30. Conditions like endocarditic, tuberculosis, osteomyelitis are some of the common condition that result in night sweat.
- Patients with AIDS or HIV infection also suffer from night sweat at night
- Certain medications are associated with night sweat. Night sweating is the most common side effect of Antidepressants. Almost 20% of individuals on ant-idepressants, tend to suffer from night sweat.
Night Sweating In Men Treatment
Treatment depends upon on underlying cause of night sweat. The treatment options include,
- Change in the medication or treatment therapy and substituting the drug causing night sweats by an alternative drug.
- Hormone replacement therapy has been found to be beneficial in averting some of the symptoms associated with andropause including night sweat
- Dietary modifications like reducing the intake of sugars, salt, spicy foods onions, meat and garlic have been found to be beneficial.