Migraine is a syndrome which is characterized by recurrent episodic headaches accompanied with nausea, vomiting and blurring of vision. This form of headache is severe in intensity and most often one sided. Headache often lasts for several hours or days. Patient is completely free from symptoms between two attacks.
There are several factors that may trigger a migraine attack such as alcohol, stress, food allergy, weather changes, lack of sleep etc. Migraine is more common in women especially in their reproductive age. Many women have noticed relationship of headaches with their periods.In some women the attack of migraine occurs just before or during periods. Let us know why some women suffer from migraine headache during their periods.
Why Do Some Women Get Migraines During Their Period?
Many women who are sensitive to fluctuation of estrogen and progesterone that occur during their reproductive age are more susceptible to develop migraine during and before their menses. The cause is presumed to be low estrogen level before and during periods. Estrogen level falls considerably before and during menstruation.
Fluctuation of estrogen and progesterone hormone has influence of the neurotransmitters of the brain and the receptor cells that pick up the messages.As a result the blood vessels in brain dilate causing congestion of blood. The response of the nerves is unusual to low estrogen level and muscles too undergo spasm. All these factors together are responsible to produce headache during menses. Migraine attacks in such woman reduce during pregnancy and after menopause when the estrogen is low.
Migraine attacks are also common in women who take contraceptive pills that contain estrogen concentration more than progesterone. There is a drastic fall in the pill free week. It is during this period withdrawal bleeding occurs. Reduced level of estrogen hormone can trigger headache.
Alternative Remedies To Stop Migraines During Period
The conventional treatment of migraine during periods include anti inflammatory medicines and pain killers. Estrogen skin patches before menses is often used to alleviate or prevent headache that occurs before and during menses. The woman may start applying patches seven days prior to the expected date of menses. Estrogen is absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream.
Besides the conventional remedies, several home remedies are useful in treatment of migraine headache.
- Evening prime rose oil is useful in treatment of menstrual headaches. Its natural anti inflammatory action is beneficial to alleviate pain.
- Fever few is another important herb to treat headaches that occurs due to hormonal fluctuation in menses. It has natural anti inflammatory properties. It also acts on the dilated blood vessels.
- Vitamin supplement is useful alternative to prevent menstrual headaches. Vitamin B 2 has proven beneficial effects on the nervous system. It enriches the nerve cells without any excitation. Thus it has qualities of controlling migraine that occurs during periods. Patient can take vitamin B complex supplements daily. She can also eat foods that are rich in vitamin B2.
- Alternative medicines such as homeopathy is valuable in treatment of headache caused during menses. There are several homeopathic medicines; however, since the therapy is based on individualization, the remedy for each woman may not be the same. Consult a homeopath for treatment of migraine headaches.
- Yoga, exercise, acupressure and acupuncture are also beneficial in treating headaches during menses.