Collagen is a type of protein which is vital for giving strength and structure to many parts of the body. It acts like glue to hold the body parts together. Collagen is predominantly found in all connective tissues ranging from skin, bone, blood vessels, ligaments and cartilage, cornea of eye and even the intestine. It is because of collagen the skin and blood vessels are able to maintain their elasticity. In fact collagen is responsible for the skin to appear and feel supple, smooth and young.
Degeneration of collagen fiber is responsible for formation of wrinkles and lines.With growing age collagen fibers begin to degenerate and the production slows down. This results in loss of skin elasticity and wrinkle formation. The joints lose its flexibility and the bones begin to deteriorate. Environmental factors such as sunlight, pollution, free radicals also harm collagen.
It is natural for the body to produce and repair the damaged collagen fibers. This ability gradually decreases after the age of 35. The production and repair tapers off. Its quality is also compromised. However, it is possible to delay and prevent the degeneration in several ways.
How To Increase Collagen Production Naturally?
People use topical creams and undergo treatments to stop it. But there are natural ways that a person can rely on to stimulate production of collagen by living healthy lifestyle, applying topical creams. Eating certain foods can accelerate production and repair damaged collagen fibers.
- Eat fruits and green leafy vegetables: Fruits and green leafy vegetables contain enormous amount of vitamin C. This vitamin is vital for collagen formation and repair. It protects the cells from free radicals in the body. Excess of free radicals in the body speed up aging as well as is a leading cause for many diseases. Vitamin C is an antioxidant which protects the skin, cartilage, and other fibrous tissues from free radical. It helps to repair damaged skin and keeps its elasticity intact.
- Avoid sunlight: Excess exposure to sunlight can lead to degeneration of skin collagen. You can protect your skin by applying sunscreen lotion before going out in sun.
- Eat red vegetables: Tomatoes, bell pepper, beetroot, are red in color. Lycopene is the content present in them which gives red color. Lycopene is an antioxidant. It acts as a natural sun block. It prevents skin damage and also enhances production of collagen.
- Eat carrots: Orange vegetables such as carrots and sweet potatoes contain vitamin A. This essential vitamin helps to regenerate damaged collagen fibers.
- Avoid smoking: Cigarette smoking damages collagen and this way those who smoke for a long duration may look prematurely aged. They have early wrinkles and lines on their face.
- Strawberry and blue berry: They are densely packed with antioxidants that are known to scavenge free radicals responsible for destruction of collagen. Eat them regularly to find their beneficial effects.
- Sleep well: A healthy sleep allows the damaged collagen to regenerate and repair. Most of the repair of body tissues takes place when we are asleep. A sound 7 hours sleep is essential to maintain healthy tone and structure of skin as well as formation of collagen in other body organs.