Bronchial congestion occurs when the mucus lining of the bronchi gets inflamed. Bronchial tubes are air passages through which the inhaled air enters into the lungs. Congestion in this tube can be quite distressing because of its symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, labored breathing, pain in chest etc. The air which enters into the nose passes through trachea in the throat. It then enters into the connecting bronchial tubes and passes to bronchioles which are the smaller tributaries of bronchi ultimately ending into the alveoli of lungs.
Bronchial tubes have its own mechanism to fight off germs, pollution, and any foreign body that enters into the lungs.The inflammatory mechanism of the bronchial lining will actually prevent these offending agents to pass further downwards into the lung. While doing so, the lining produces lot of mucus giving rise to congestion in the bronchi. Bronchial congestion is often observed in respiratory diseases like asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia etc. Congestion is common in smokers and in fact it accelerates the condition.
Causes And Symptoms Of Bronchial Congestion
Congestion in bronchial passage can occur due to many causes. There are several conditions which may lead to congestion in the air passage.
- Bacterial and viral infection can produce acute congestion due to acute bronchitis. Bronchitis is inflammation of the internal lining of the bronchial tree.
- Common cold
- Air pollution
- Cigarette smoke
- Allergy to dust, pollen etc.
- Congestion of bronchi is common among people working in certain industries that produce fumes and dust besides toxic gasses. The inhaled substance enters into the air passage and hinders smooth airflow to the lung.
Symptoms of bronchial congestion:
- Frequent coughing
- Increased sputum production
- Breathing difficulty
- Pain in chest
- Wheezing in chest
- Thin or thick mucus discharge from nose.
Natural Remedies To Clear Bronchial Passages
Below are given effective home remedies that will give relief from congestion in chest. However, if the cause is bacterial infection then you need to consult your physician for suitable antibiotics.
- Keep a humidifier in your room. It helps the air to be moist which in turn is useful for removing congested mucus from the bronchial passage. Dryness in the air can cause dryness of mucus which is difficult to expel out. Use of steam vaporizer is also advantageous for clearing the air passage.
- Drinking certain herbal tea will help to expel congestion from the bronchi. The herbal teas such as mint tea, ginger tea, have properties similar to expectorant. It helps to liquefy and expel the thick mucus inside the bronchi that is causing congestion.
- Cardamom is effective in relieving cough, cold and congestion from the respiratory system. Make powder from the roasted cardamom seeds. Take pinch of this powder and mix it with one teaspoon of honey. Take this mixture two times in a day. It helps to clear off the mucus from bronchi. It also gives relief from constant coughing.
- Carrot juice is effective in removing mucus from throat and nose. Add one teaspoon of honey in one glass of carrot juice. Drink this juice twice in a day.
- Lemon is time tested home remedy for relieving cough and congestion from the respiratory tract. Mix half teaspoon of lemon juice, one teaspoon of honey in one glassful of warm water. Drink this water two to three times in a day. It is the best home remedy to eliminate accumulated mucus from the bronchi.
- Follow regular deep breathing exercise. It helps to clear the congested airways. Yoga exercise such as Pranayam helps in dealing with breathing difficulty.